Do Not Pass Go

19 Jun

Dr Fertility: This is a little weird, but I’m on the fence between doing nothing and sending you directly to IVF.

Me: Why?

DF: Well, you’ve needed very minimal intervention in the past. How long have you been trying now?

Me: About 9 months at this point.

DF: So yes, I think you should go directly to IVF.

Me: Why not Clo.mid or IUI?

DF: Because the last thing you need is multiples with your history. At least with IVF we can control how many fertilized eggs try to implant.

Today I had a hysterography, all clear. In two weeks we come back to get the ball rolling. Unless by some random miracle I get knocked up naturally between now and September, I can add IVF to the list of shit I never wanted to do but I’m now forced to deal with.

Yay.

PS: No, I don’t plan on using this space as a medical diary chronicling the ins and outs of the quest to get an embryo into my ute. There are enough people doing that on the web, thankyouverymuch.

PPS: Fuck.

6 Responses to “Do Not Pass Go”

1. me0me June 19, 2016 at 21:22 #

Is IVF such a bad thing? I’m thinking it will actually give you so much more control.

• Mo June 19, 2016 at 21:54 #

Control, yes. That’s what Shmerson said too. But the process is a complete clusterfuck of hormones and procedures. There are a LOT of things I’m worried about. Letting it settle in a bit, I’m sure ill have a ranty, conflicted post soon.

2. Courtney June 20, 2016 at 06:25 #

Honestly… I’m relieved for you because of the control factor. Your doctor is spot-on about your history and multiples. But I understand your hesitation.

For what it’s worth, IVF did not mess with me hormonally at all, and I was on a very traditional protocol with lots of hormones. You never know – you may be just fine with it.

Good luck!!!

• Mo June 20, 2016 at 07:39 #

Thanks hon. I hope you’re right! Xoxo

3. jjiraffe June 20, 2016 at 10:16 #

Totally get your feelings here. 😦 Sending hugs.

4. Lise June 20, 2016 at 17:58 #

Well I don’t know how IVF works where you live, but I didn’t find it all that bad. The clinic where we did IVF did a short protocol with less hormones and the goal was not to get as many eggs as possible but rather to get some good quality eggs. In retrospect I probably could have used a little more hormones since we got just five little eggs, but I got pregnant!