Not Freaking Out at ALL

29 Aug

Next Sunday night, I’m getting on a plane and flying to the US.

Alone.

For 6 days.

2 days after Bunny’s first birthday.

On one hand – I’m SUPER excited. This is a really important move from a career standpoint. On the other:

HOLY CRAP I’M LEAVING MY BABY FOR 6 WHOLE DAYS.

Any working mommies out there have any tips for making this easier on Bunny?

And on me? Because let’s be honest – I’m going to take it harder than she will.

On a slightly different, but related note: Who’s coming to Content Marketing World?

I know you’re out there, FSM knows enough of us do this writing thing for a living. Email me if you’re planning on going!

16 Responses to “Not Freaking Out at ALL”

1. nonsequiturchica August 29, 2014 at 20:11 #

Do you and your husband have iPhones? Or computers so that you can Skype? My husband travels all the time and I recently went to DC for 5 days. Facetime/Skype is where it is at. Being away is difficult but being able to see your kid and talk to them makes a world of difference. It will be a good thing for you to get away- and you will be very excited to get back to Bunny at the same time.

• Mo August 29, 2014 at 20:13 #

Thanks!
      We’ve both got ipads so facetime is in the plan. I’m just afraid she’ll find it confusing…

• Courtney August 29, 2014 at 21:02 #

She’ll get it! We skyped this past week, and I was shocked by how Bryson totally understood it!

• Lise August 30, 2014 at 09:36 #

She will understand! My daughter loves skype/FaceTime, she talks to her grandparents in Italy several times a week 🙂

2. AK August 29, 2014 at 20:15 #

On the other hand, your US besties are STOKED.

• Mo August 29, 2014 at 20:16 #

:-*

3. AK August 29, 2014 at 20:18 #

Also, don’t worry – Bunny will catch on quick to the facetime thing.I had a friend who had a barely 3 year-old who would tell Siri to “call Allison” so she could chat with me. Kids now are super digital natives. Even at her age, I guarantee she understands more than you’d think.

• Mo August 29, 2014 at 20:19 #

Good point. She does ALMOST scroll on my iphone by herself when I show her videos of herself (one of her favorite shows :-p )

4. Sara L. Uckelman August 29, 2014 at 20:31 #

Is she used to having daddy put her to bed? If not, start practicing that now!

• Mo August 29, 2014 at 20:34 #

He does it on weekends, so we should be good. But she’s not used having him give her dinner, or pick her up from day care. So we’ll practice that. Thanks!

5. Courtney August 29, 2014 at 21:01 #

We’re leaving the kids for the first time and flying…. I’m freaking out. Got our wills done – I’m that freaked out.

6 days is a long time. Have fun! Try to relax!

• chon August 30, 2014 at 00:01 #

Oh Courtney 😂 the kids will be fine and so will bunny (this from the woman who has left her daughter overnight once with her sister!!!!!)

6. Mic August 29, 2014 at 23:12 #

the hardest for me was coming back. I thought she’d squeal for joy when she’d lay eyes on me, but didn’t give a rat’s ass. It was like she had to warm up to me again, and that was really hard emotionally. Granted, mine is younger (8 months) so that plays as well. Just prepare yourself mentally that she might not show as much enthousiasm as the level you’re feeling about seeing her again.

• Mo August 29, 2014 at 23:14 #

Good to know. Thanks!

7. Daryl August 29, 2014 at 23:53 #

It’s going to be hard to be away from Bunny, but it sounds like you’re going to have a fantastic trip. I hope those 6 days are both fun and fast!

8. thecornfedfeminist September 2, 2014 at 22:17 #

Have people send you pictures a few times a day, Skype/Facetime with her, and remember, it’s good for you to miss her and for her to miss you! As with anything, the first time is the hardest, and if you plan on traveling for work in the future, it will be helpful that this is all she knows. “My mommy travels (for work or whatever). That’s awesome, she’s awesome, and she does it to show me I can see the world too, someday!”