It’s Just Like Paris

28 May

Wow, no posts for almost 2 weeks and then a flood. I guess consistency isn’t  my strong suit as of late.

When Shmerson and I were together for about 2 years, a bit before we got engaged, we went to Paris.

At the time, I was the #2 person at a small startup company that was launching an international cable channel. My salary sucked. But I loved the job.

Shmerson and I went to the airport to go home, and realized we left our passports in our hotel room safe. We were out of cash. We made a couple of (expensive!) phone calls and a cab was on its way to the airport with our passports 20 minutes later. We had to pay a ridiculous ATM fee to get the cash to pay the driver. My bank account balance was painfully lighter after that debacle.

In line to check in, they announced that they were looking for people to give up their seats on the flight. They were willing to pay each person 400 (!) euros and cover a hotel for the night.

One more day in Paris, a free hotel, and 800 Euros if Shmerson and I stayed.

But there was this big meeting that I had to prep for at work. It was supposed to happen three days after. I was nervous about it. I had a presentation to put together.

So we said no.

800 Euros and an extra free night in Paris.

We. Said. No.

Even my boss at the time, when he heard the story, said it was a dumb move.

No shit. To this day I cannot for the life of me understand why that meeting felt so urgent at the time. But it did.

So we said no.

5 months later, the economic collapse happened and the company went bust.

I was unemployed.

And I had given up 800 Euros and a free night in Paris.

I can say I have a lot of regrets – but that – giving up that all for the sake of one meeting for a company that no longer exists – that is one of my biggest. To this day I facepalm each time I think about it.

Stupid, stupid move.

And I know – I know it’s not really the same. I know there are reasons. There are really good reasons why I work. And I’m not at some dinky 4-person startup. I have stability. We have stability. We need that.

But some days, when I sit in front of the computer, answering emails, knowing that Bunny is a 10 minute walk away being taken care of by someone else…

It’s Paris all over again.

6 Responses to “It’s Just Like Paris”

1. Theresa May 29, 2014 at 01:25 #

((((((HUGS)))))))

2. journeyformybaby May 29, 2014 at 02:36 #

Aww! I hope that you are able to work something out so that you can have the best of both worlds. 🙂

3. Courtney May 29, 2014 at 06:04 #

Wow, you say things so perfectly.

Hugs to you!

4. Alissa S May 29, 2014 at 07:52 #

Yes, just yes. I so understand this. I feel like kicking myself everyday during my commute. But this is life and where I’m at right now. Make the most of your Bunny time.

5. Ms. Future PharmD May 30, 2014 at 04:50 #

I’m consoling myself by remembering that children almost never remember a thing from before age 5. Even at 6, my kid remembers nothing before she was about 3 and little from before she was 4. While I am sad to miss formative moments in early childhood, I will be there for as many after school things as possible and that my girls will remember.

6. gina June 12, 2014 at 20:11 #

Such a good post and hits close to home. I work full time but took a day off yesterday to have a “mommy and me” day with my son and it only made me realize how much I miss everyday while I’m at work (and also all the things I can do with him that will help him developmentally that his caretakers can’t/don’t do). I know he won’t remember me being gone, but I will. Sometimes I wonder if all the pluses I get fom working are worth me missing out on my kid’s formative years. Very well put here.