Yes I’m Actually Considering This

26 Jul

Please don’t be hurt if I come off as judge-y or a cynical skeptic in this post. Like I said when I talked about birth plans – I feel how I feel, you feel how you feel. What I feel is in no way a judgement of your belief system, it’s just me. So let’s keep things respectful, ok? Ok.

So I’m still doing pretty crappy. I’m short on patience and filled with anxiety. I realize at this point there’s very little I can do about it. Even my therapist is concentrating on ways to make the time pass quicker rather than deal with all the feelings. Really, the only solution to everything I’m going through is to just power through it until I get to the other side. So I’m white-knuckling things. Fun times. I’m sure I’ll write more about it soon.

But I promised a follow up to my breastfeeding post and I keep my promises! Plus, I assure you, this one is a doozy.

I’m considering consuming my placenta.

Me. This is me we’re talking about.

The comments on that post really helped me get a plan together, and kind of have me convinced that dehydrating my placenta and turning it into pills which I can take may be a good way to stave off PPD. One thing’s for sure – even if it doesn’t help, it certainly can’t hurt.

After mourning the ideal picture I had in my head and giving it a lot of thought, my plan is to breastfeed for three weeks while doing all I can to prevent postpartum depression, and then after three weeks, assess my mental state. If I’m doing ok, then I’ll stay off the pills, but if I feel like I’m suffering, then on the pills I go. From everything I know, three weeks is a good time to really differentiate between normal “baby blues” and full-on PPD. I just really need to be honest with myself about my state of mind when I’m in the moment. I hope I can pull that off. Grieving the ideal picture I had in my head has helped that along a bit. I just need to keep the conversation going, so when the time comes I don’t try to manipulate things, but rather am honest with myself.

But I also want to feel like I did everything I possibly could to avoid PPD. Which is where this whole placenta-as-pills thing comes in.

But like everything in my life, pulling this off has proven to be complicated.

The thing is I can’t even fathom taking home my placenta and dehydrating it and encapsulating it on my own. Let me be perfectly clear: for me that’s just a step too far. I just can’t do it. It’s too much.

Ideally, we would grab the placenta, put it on ice, bring it to someone, and then a few days later pick up some nice neat bottles of pills. No muss, no fuss.

But alas, that is not to be.

I have literally looked EVERYWHERE, and there is nobody that provides this service in this country. Not one person. I’ve asked my doula, my acupuncturist,  and anybody else who would conceivably know of anybody who provides this service, or would know someone who knows someone. Not to mention extensive google searches. NADA. It’s just not done here.

There is something though. But I admit I’m even more skeptical about it than I am about the dehydrated placenta pills.

Apparently there are private pharmacies here that will take a piece of your placenta and create a homeopathic liquid out of it. I even found a place that is literally a 10 minute drive from my house who does this.

All I would have to do is ask for a piece of my placenta (just a piece, no need for the whole thing), preserve it in alcohol, drop it off at the pharmacy, and a few days and about 40 bucks later – essence of placenta in a bottle.

But here’s the thing: I think homeopathy is complete and utter BS. So there is no chance for a placebo effect here.

Consuming full pieces of placenta, on some level makes logical sense to me. But droplets of water that supposedly have some sort of essence of the thing? It just doesn’t jive as well.

I know what some of you are thinking – how is one so different from the other?

I don’t know. It just is. One makes sense to me. The other doesn’t. And I just don’t know what to do.

And I’ll say it again: I am not dehydrating and encapsulating my own placenta. That is just not going to happen. It’s either homeopathy or nothing.

So- anybody have this done, or know of somebody that has? What do you guys think? Is essence of placenta better than no placenta at all?

(I seriously can’t even believe I’m having a discussion about this. But desperate times….)

19 Responses to “Yes I’m Actually Considering This”

1. Flowergirl July 26, 2013 at 23:13 #

I went to school with Tara, haven’t spoken much with her since but am friends with her on FB, but if you want help/experience, please do ask her some questions- http://www.placentaoptions.com

Beth x

2. Flowergirl July 26, 2013 at 23:28 #

Have sent her a message saying that you may contact, so she is hopefully thinking of solutions of either someone who can support where you are or other options (other than you give birth in England and she’ll do it for you). xx

• Mo July 26, 2013 at 23:30 #

Thanks so much hon! Maybe she knows someone who does it here, or can at least go over the benefits of the homeopathic option. I’ll email her in the next day or two.

3. Theresa July 26, 2013 at 23:30 #

Hey ya gotta do what you gotta do. No judgement here. Unfortunately no knowledge either, however I’m really interested to see what you decide and how it helps!

4. Kathryn July 27, 2013 at 00:11 #

even if you wanted to dry it yourself you wont have the time or energy. clearly any woman who does have the time/energy doesn’t NEED to eat the freaking thing! lol
    sorry you are in a predicament but I do like your plan.

5. Angel July 27, 2013 at 01:18 #

I am zero help on the placenta thing…I couldn’t bring myself to go there when my little was born. (other than to say that some people actually cook (like as in fry it up) the placenta and consume it- but there’s no way I’m advocating that!).

However, I did want to say that I suffered MAJOR PPD, and found that mega doses of Omega 3, Vitamin D3 supplements, continuing my prenatals and yoga (yes, really) helped me. Like night and day difference helped me. So- you can try that. I figured that it couldn’t hurt…and it helped!

6. Prairie July 27, 2013 at 03:09 #

I was at a conference on mental health last year and one speaker spoke of PPD as a preventable condition. He said there’s research into Vitamin D in high doses during pregnancy & post-partum having an impact in minimizing PPD. I’m not sure I’m convinced. Seems like a way to blame women for PPD after the fact. But I thought I’d pass it along since I know nothing about placenta drying or eating.

7. Daryl July 27, 2013 at 03:28 #

Good for you for being willing to try this–whatever it takes, right? I have no knowledge on the subject, but I’d be interested to hear what you find out.

8. denise100709 July 27, 2013 at 04:10 #

You know the answer yourself- essence of placenta = water. Homeopathy = complete B.S.
    Done.

9. Amy July 27, 2013 at 05:40 #

No judgement from me, sweet cheeks, because I am doing what you are considering. I came away with my loss of twins in 2011 with moderate PPD amd PTSD. I managed to avoid drugs and focus on weekly therapy instead, but it sucked, and I remained in weekly therapy all through my rainbow pregnancy (all told, Feb ’12 through present). Between my history of major depression and the PPD, I knew I was at high risk this time, so my doula encapsulated my placenta for me, and is also preparing a tincture with a small portion of it. I’ve been taking the placenta capsules religiously…now they’re almost gone and I’m trying to wean myself off so I don’t use them all. AND, damn it…this time I ended up with moderate to severe postpartum anxiety. Part of the reason is the breastfeeding problems we’ve had as a result of my son’s lip and tongue tie and associated latch issues. We’re still working on that. PPA sucks, maybe even worse (for me) than PPD. That said, use whatever resources you have and feel comfortable with. No need to suffer, and that’s what both PPD and PPA like us to do.

Hugs!

10. Heather July 27, 2013 at 10:25 #

Go for it. Hope you find someone to help.

• Kerstin July 27, 2013 at 13:11 #

After my C-section I found a bowl between my feet when I woke up. My placenta was in it and I took a look. Interesting thing, I thought, so big! And that was it. My brandnew baby was waaay more interesting and demanding, and a nurse threw the placenta away. Even if I were a flowerpower, take-my-placenta-home-to-bury-it-in-my-garden kind of person, there is no way I could have done that. I was in surval mode after my daughter was born. Eating was a challenge. Sleep was a thing from the past. Still is sometimes, 9 months later. So yes, I think encapsulating the thing yourself is rubbish. But maybe your mother would do it for you? Or a close friend, if there are do-it-yourself-tutorials out there?
      If you think a placenta might have value for you, and you do not believe in homeopathy (I so agree), you might want to research the valuable ingredients a dried a placenta might have and take them in form of good old pills from a pharmacy.

11. Amy July 27, 2013 at 17:18 #

Crap. I cannot believe (well, I can, but it sucks) that normal encapsulation isn’t a thing there but homeopathic formulation is?? I am totally with you on the homeopathy being nonsense. I might still be able to hope for a placebo effect if it were my only option, but…mehhh. I hope someone, somehow, crosses virtual paths with you who can help you get it done in a way that will make more sense. I wish any of us were local to you! I would totally read/watch every tutorial available and just duck in to the hospital, grab it, fix it up and drop it off in return for a quick sniff of B5’s head. If it ends up being the only option, I would not judge you at all for going for it, though. I will hold out hope that you’ll be feeling pretty decent at three weeks, regardless of what happens or doesn’t with the placenta. This article has some tips that are more DUH and some that I probably wouldn’t have thought of (like getting a massage every day? I really should have pushed for that!) – anything you can add to your arsenal would be worth trying! http://moxie.blogs.com/14Tips.pdf

12. Christina Williams July 27, 2013 at 18:03 #

I’ll ask around in one of my groups if that is ok with you. They are super crunchy and several of them do the encapsulation themselves as a business.

I do think good on you for trying all avenues out to make things best for you guys. Lots of love and hugs your way!

• Mo July 27, 2013 at 18:37 #

Thanks maybe someone knows somebody in Israel, can’t hurt!

13. Kristin July 27, 2013 at 21:40 #

I wish I had a solution to offer but all I can do is wish you good luck. {{{Hugs}}}

14. theyellowblanket July 29, 2013 at 18:14 #

Toss it in a blender with some bloody mary mix. That’ll cure what ails ya!

15. pjsarecomfyn July 30, 2013 at 19:21 #

I haven’t heard of that, but doesn’t mean it couldn’t work. Let me know what you hear/determine.

16. L August 1, 2013 at 07:41 #

Would some humour be totally unwelcome? If not, then http://www.brainchildmag.com/2013/07/an-open-letter-to-my-placenta/