Bullets and Bunnies: 30 Weeks Edition

25 Jun
  • I’m 30 weeks today. I really never thought we’d get here. Now that we’re here though – I’m grateful, but it’s a little harder than I imagined it would be. I’ve said here before that I’m not loving being pregnant, and that’s not changed. Luckily, physically I’m not suffering too much but I’m truly sick and tired of missing out on life due to all of the restrictions. 4 months of basically being on house arrest have taken their toll, and now with the added dietary restrictions I can barely enjoy the bit of respite I do get. We actually went out to a movie on Saturday and there was literally a 15 minute discussion about whether or not we can buy popcorn because of the GD. I really want my body back. I’ll happily wait until B5 is full-term mind you – and have no desire to evict her any earlier, but this crap is seriously getting old.
  • With that whole “I want my body back” thing though, I’m starting to realize that in fact, that probably will never happen. My stomach is stretch-mark-palooza, despite my loyally rubbing cocoa butter on it every night. I have fondly started calling it “the cream of lies” because really it does nothing. On one hand, I am kind of fond of these little marks, because it means my belly is growing, as is B5, but I’m a bit scared to think that once you get them, they never really go away. And mine are BAD.
  • These bullets are a bit complain-y aren’t they? I think I’m just in a mood today. I’m really ok and grateful and all that fun sunshine and unicorn fart crap, I swear. I just feel like kvetching.
  • So on with the kvetching! I am a hormonal mess. At least 4 times in the last week I’ve lost my shit over something trivial. And that’s without the random crying at things. We were watching the first Star Trek reboot the other night and I literally started bawling when they started the whole “Space… The final frontier” speech at the end of the film. I still have no idea why it made me cry, but I was a mess for a good 15 minutes.
  • I’m also a ball of anxiety. I feel like I’m not letting myself be anxious about B5 as much so my anxiety is therefore being channeled into ALL THE THINGS. Today I found myself spending a nice chunk of time worrying about things that are literally 5 years down the road. Then when I talked myself down from that, I got worried about Shmerson driving tonight after work because he’s tired. Then I started worrying about my cholesterol levels once this pregnancy is over. My brain is screwy, seriously. I’ve got enough to be worried about, I don’t get why I’m insisting on adding more.
  • One thing I’m genuinely concerned about is that my blood glucose levels have been borderline. My high-risk OB decided not to medicate the GD for now but I’m kind of questioning whether that’s the best thing. I’ve had some high readings this week (on average one meal a day and the rest is ok, and I don’t know what’s causing the high readings), and B5 is measuring on track, when before she was consistently 4-5 days behind. I know it’s silly to worry about measuring on track, but I can’t help but think that her growth spurt may have something to do with the GD, and the issue may get worse. Problem is, my next appointment isn’t for a couple of weeks, and I’m wondering what the occasional high readings will do until then, because I don’t want them to hurt her. Who wants to talk me down?
  • Ok enough kvetching. Time for a technical note: Google Reader is going away on July 1st, so anyone who follows me via the reader should find an alternative. If you don’t want a whole new blog-reading platform, then please do subscribe to the blog via email with the button on the top right of this page. If you’re still looking for an alternative, I’ve been using Netvibes. It’s a bit clunkier and it took me a while to get the settings right – but it’s been doing the job. Plus, I could import my entire reading list there, which was handy (though did require some reading up on exporting and importing RSS subscription lists).
  • On a totally unrelated note, I’m officially back on the crack that is “Toddlers and Tiaras” . I have no clue why I insist on inflicting this on myself, but there ya go.
  • So that’s about it. Sorry for the whiny post. I promise you guys I’m doing well, just going a bit stir-crazy and craving chocolate cake and ice cream. Here’s a bunny to make up for the kvetch:

tumblr_maissdWoEH1rc8jsxo1_250

23 Responses to “Bullets and Bunnies: 30 Weeks Edition”

1. april June 25, 2013 at 17:54 #

it’s true that stretch marks don’t go away, but they become so faint. they are a totally different animal one year out, i promise. i’m still not going to be sporting a bikini, mind you, but i’m just saying. they’ll become a non-issue soon enough.

2. Belle June 25, 2013 at 17:58 #

30 weeks? Really? Mo… this is awesome and just made my afternoon of crappy work and a really crappy lunch (Brussels sprouts, quinoa and really dry salmon cakes – gross) like WAY better 🙂 The stretch mark thing is hella lame and yes, the creams lie. I am currently concerned for my belly button, which I fear might look like a big cavern of disgusting post-birth. No cream is gonna save what is happening there I’m afraid!

3. April June 25, 2013 at 18:18 #

Yay 30 weeks!

As for talking you down, my mom’s two unmedicated GD pregnancies led to two healthy 9 pounders, and the one medicated led to one healthy 8 pounder.

4. nonsequiturchica June 25, 2013 at 20:36 #

Yay for 30 weeks!!

So did you end up getting the popcorn?

• Mo June 25, 2013 at 20:42 #

Lol yes I did but it was carefully measured

5. kerry June 25, 2013 at 20:52 #

1. Re: your anxiety–the same. thing. happened. to. me. I seriously was finding the most ridiculous things in the world, decades down the road, to worry myself sick over. I have had pretty bad anxiety my entire life, but it definitely got worse when I was pregnant. However, and I am not kidding here, I have had little to no anxiety since giving birth. Its insane. Sometimes I worry about why I am not worrying, but them I kick myself and just try to be thankful that somehow my brain is over it.

2. Re: your GD levels. Again, same thing happened to me. I could eat the same thing every day for each meal and every day the readings would be different and sometimes like 50+ points different, for no reason. Its nothing you are doing or can do, its your body and its all over the place. Just eat the best you can and let your dr’s worry about if/when to give you meds. My MFM eventually told me that they really only get concerned about people when their readings are like a hundred or so points above where they should be consistently. I still was sick over it all. day. every. day. But you are in the home stretch.

3. Re: concerning your baby is now measuring on track. Please remember those machines are ok at best. My daughter was measuring around the 50% for the entire pregnancy until I got an ultrasound around 20 weeks and her legs dropped down to the 5%. LIke they shrunk over the previous 4 weeks. I didn’t sleep for weeks and was beyond worried sick and she was honestly born over 95% in length.

I feel you every ounce or your worry and anxiety, but you are doing a great job and you are almost there! As soon as B5 is out you will feel so much weight lifted off your shoulders and will be able to enjoy life so much more!!

• Mo June 25, 2013 at 20:55 #

Wow thanks for this. It really helped!

• kerry June 25, 2013 at 22:47 #

I actually meant the ultrasound that showed her legs shrinking was at 30 weeks–but she turned out really tall in the end! (After my MFM calling me at home one night reminding me that I am short and that she probably just has stumpy legs anyway. Gee, thanks tall thin pretty Dr.)

Oh and while she was born about 2 weeks early, my baby was still on the small side (7 1/2 lbs) and that was even with me being diagnosed with GD at 18 weeks.

The ONLY decent (I can’t bring myself to actually call it ‘good’) about having the GD is that my diet is so much better now than it has ever been in my life (even almost a year after giving birth) because I just got used to eating chicken and cheese and cheese and chicken, so my body got used to not having bread and cupcakes daily. I still consider them a treat, so its helped with losing all (miscarriages/clomid/ivf/pregnancy/depression) weight.

6. slese1014 June 25, 2013 at 21:21 #

Stretch marks….they hate me. I never even bothered trying creams because I knew it wouldn’t work. Some people are just prone to them and I already had them from previous weight gain and losses. They do fade, but I’m very fair skinned and my are ridiculously visible. Here’s hoping you have the fading kind 🙂

GD and high numbers. I basically begged my OB to put me on insulin because I’m worried about how those numbers are affecting my baby. He told me my numbers were fine. I even went over his head to my MFM doc and he said it was OK. I’m still not OK with it, but I’ll keep bugging them….here’s hoping B5 is just catching up. My OB said my ute was growing fast and I panicked even more. I don’t want to birth a toddler…

YAY!! for 30 weeks…and you’re doing great! You should be very proud of yourself!!

7. pjsarecomfyn June 25, 2013 at 23:47 #

My stretch marks have gotten super light. They are no longer the “tiger’s mauling” that Andy and I fondly dubbed them after Jack.

Being a woman means we will worry about anything and everything…I wish there was more I could say to help you stop, but I do it too…so whatcha gonna do?

30 weeks is awesome!!! almost there…..you’re going to pop out of the end of that tunnel in no time.

8. Lisa June 26, 2013 at 04:07 #

THIRTY! THIRTY! THIRTY! I’m chanting like a frat boy.

I’ve got stretch marks just from life. They’re super light now, but you can for sure see them when I tan. I’m sure there will be more. C’est la vie. War wounds.

I too heart Toddlers and Tiaras. My husband is now seriously frightened that I’m going to come home one day with an obnoxiously expensive sequin laden onsie and a flipper. I just keep telling him I love to watch me some train wrecks…

9. Lise June 26, 2013 at 08:47 #

Yay 30 weeks! And you are completely entitled to be complain-y, I was a mess during my whole pregnancy and I wasn’t even on bedrest. F

10. ozifrog June 27, 2013 at 14:07 #

Mo don’t worry about the GD. You’re in the home stretch. Their measurements are a big heap of crapola. I was told 90th percentile all the time, and he was 25th, 6lb 13 in a family full of 9 -14lb- ers. Crap. Ol. A.

I was also told j would be in special care after birth because of GD, as they often get low blood sugar and a bit sleepy if the mum had GD. He had five lows in a row and was in special care for TWENTY minutes. I agree they should have medicated you for it, I think it’s stupid not to, but whatevs. You’ll be fine. Bub will be fine.

Re the anxiety, I was the same, you just have energies and they have to channel somewhere. It hung around a bit after he was born (bad dreams about rotten things happening to him etc), but slowly faded. Try doing something with your hands. Try knitting, or sketching, or embroidering.it is amazing how much this helps. I stressed about stupid things years ahead too. Understand what you are thinking, acknowledge it, then let it go. It loses it’s power if you just acknowledge it but don’t get caught up in an anxiety cycle. “Wow that interesting. I’m freaking out about choosing a high school. That’s a weird thing to think about. But it’s ok. ”

Ps 30 weeks is freakin awesome. Rock on sister.

• Mo June 27, 2013 at 14:32 #

Thanks hon. It looks like I may get medicated after all- I called the clinic with my numbers and they are considering it depending how the rest of the week goes. I honestly hope yet decide to go with drugs. I would feel much better knowing there was another safety net

11. nickeecoco June 28, 2013 at 00:00 #

Mo! You are 30 weeks and B5 is measuring on-track! That is wonderful news. I would try not to worry about it being caused by the GD. If that is possible. Xoxo

12. theyellowblanket June 28, 2013 at 01:50 #

If it makes you feel any better, I’m pretty sure I’m destined for stretch marks. I think some of us are just genetically predisposed, and no amount of yumbumbellyrubbyhappyyummyoil is going to help that. I can’t believe you’re 30 weeks!!! When baby is out, can your diet go back to normal?

• Mo June 28, 2013 at 08:09 #

As far as I know it can thank goodness! I already put in an order for chocolate cupcakes with my BFF who likes to bake 🙂

• theyellowblanket June 30, 2013 at 01:06 #

Good, then I can send the *things* I said I was going to send ages ago, that I still have for you!!!

• Mo June 30, 2013 at 01:07 #

Omg! You rawk!

13. Shelley June 28, 2013 at 18:16 #

So happy that you’ve reached the home stretch here, Mo! 30 is huge. I too am completely COVERED in stretch marks. It makes me feel pretty ugly but I try to remember that they gave me Turtle, and that they can be faded with time and treatments. The hardest part was (and maybe still is) seeing skinny pregnant ladies with “just belly” and stretch mark-free belly at that. Hang in there, you’re so close, even if it doesn’t feel that way right now.

14. Amy June 28, 2013 at 18:36 #

You are getting so close. The next several weeks will seem forever long, but you are 75% of the way there, at least! I am glad you got some popcorn, and I hope that you can get some reassurance with your glucose numbers – medicated or not, you just need to feel like it’s being well managed (sounds like you’re on top of it already)! So happy for you to be to this stage. I feel you on the stretch marks. The ones on my belly have faded pretty well after a year (and no real treatments), but the ones on my thighs are still kinda scary…I care way less than I thought I might, though, so maybe you will end up not giving a shit, too. 🙂 Big hugs and high fives for taking such great care of B5!

15. fromheretomotherhood July 2, 2013 at 20:01 #

I have read that creams are useless for stretch marks and it’s more about genetics than anything, although slower weight gain and hydration help. I chuckled at the bit about Star Trek. Twice I bawled my eyes out over the garbage that is Snooki & JWoww!

16. carolinenharries July 12, 2013 at 15:35 #

Congrats on your pregnancy!