The Whole Pinterest Thing

17 Jun

So first off, an update on my last post. Thanks to everyone who commented. You managed to talk me down somewhat, and then my doula brought me down the rest of the way. I can’t really say hope has been restored, but at least I’m no longer an anxious mess, so that’s progress.

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I started using Pinterest. A few of you (understandably so) were pretty surprised, because anyone who knows me a little bit will know that it doesn’t really feel like something I would do (which is a fair point). I figured it was time to explain my adventures in pinning.

I never ever had any interest in Pinterest (look at that! Rhyming!). Then at 13 weeks we found out that B5 was a girl, and I had a short-lived surge of optimistic excitement (it lasted a whole weekend) and decided to start looking at nursery decor involving purple things and butterflies and faeries (bunnies in purple are in short supply).

That was when I realized why Pinterest existed. I understood that really, it’s just a fancy way of collecting bookmarks, and it was perfect for what I needed. So I went ahead and joined.

I’ve been using it mostly to collect recipes since then, and sometimes adding a pin onto B5’s board. But honestly? After being on it for close to 3 months, there are some things about it that I just don’t get.

I don’t understand people who pin celebrity pics. Seriously – why the heck do you need to pin that picture of January Jones? I get you like her, but just type in her name on google images if you want to look at a picture. The logic of that is lost on me.

Same for those inspirational quote jpgs. I get enough of that on facebook. Putting them on Pinterest doesn’t make them any less annoying.

Another category that’s lost on me? Boards that are “things that remind me of spring” and things like that. Why pin a random image of a flower? In what way is that even remotely useful?

I really don’t understand why anyone needs to pin anything but recipes, DIY and decor inspiration. Maybe a nice vacation board with places you’ve recently heard of and  you’d like to visit one day. Or a collection of blog posts you may want to revisit. Beyond that is I guess above my pay grade, because I just. Don’t. Get it.

Mostly the pinning of random images of celebrities though. Somebody please explain that to me. I find it really weird and kind of creepy.

I know some of you will argue that it’s about sharing this stuff with other people as well, but I simply can’t grasp that place as a true social network. It’s great when its USEFUL information. But I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pin a random picture of a pelican on a beach with no clear purpose.

On another note, I am actually one of those people that has tried cooking some of the recipes I’ve found there. Hit and miss. Mostly miss – especially the GD recipes, which have been a disaster and usually taste like bland sugarless mounds of poo. Seriously – I had a friend try some GD-friendly cookies I tried to bake, and he actually spit it out in the garbage it was so bad. But it did make me laugh my ass off at the pathetic state of my sugar-deprived cooking life. Because usually everything I cook is at least functionally yummy. Self-mockery is apparently the upside when you bake things that taste icky.

But I do have a new recipe for carb-free eggplant parm that is fabulous, courtesy of a recipe board I follow. And there are several cake recipes waiting for me once this whole GD mess is over with.

So that’s about it. What do you guys think of Pinterest?

PS – if any of you are remotely interested, here’s B5’s board. It’s very purple.

11 Responses to “The Whole Pinterest Thing”

1. Belle June 17, 2013 at 22:29 #

You know, I felt much the same way about Pinterest before the Chicken came along. I pinned randomly and rarely logged on. And then suddenly it was the best nursery idea organizing thingy ever. And now it is helping the Prof and I plan our place in NYC. So I do see value for decorating/DIY. I have not found a lot of food value as there have been way to many pinterest cooking misses. Or maybe this is b/c my dietary restrictions sort of lend themselves to misses? Checking out your purple board now…

2. Amy June 17, 2013 at 22:51 #

I’m a Pinterest junkie, mostly for the reasons you described. I used to fanatically tear pages out of my magazines and file them in binders before recycling the rest of the magazine carcasses. This is so much easier and requires zero physical storage in my house. I pin when I’m bored (which is, sadly, often) or needing to fixate on a decor issue or something. Love it!

3. SRB June 18, 2013 at 02:43 #

OMFG. The “inspirational” quotes! Dislike.

But… I do like Pinterest. Since we bought a house (and then… another house) I have been pinning decor ideas otherwise I would instantly forget. I’m a visual girl, so I can recall my “pin” with surprising accuracy, but never even remember to check my many bookmark folders. Also, recipes. Much better than ripping them out of magazines and then writing them out on cards like I used to do. But yeah… I don’t get how it’s social. I don’t even know how I even follow people or why! I should figure that out I guess.

LOVE the B5 board. Like, a lot. It’s so purple!!!

4. BB June 18, 2013 at 03:22 #

Pintrest is how I planned/executed Ella’s nursery from the “comfort” of NICU. It’s such a great tool for things like that… have not used it much since then. I’m really excited for you!

5. Courtney June 18, 2013 at 05:50 #

I use interest to plan my kids’ rooms, keep track of recipes I’ve tried and LIKED, and to keep track of gift ideas for my son and husband. Besides that, I’m not sure what to do with it. In those few realms of my life in which I incorporate pinterest, it’s worked out great!

Checking your board now. 🙂

6. Daryl June 18, 2013 at 05:57 #

B5 is going to have the awesomest, purplest, fairyest nursery ever!

7. jjiraffe June 18, 2013 at 09:43 #

I’m a big ole Pinterest fan. I used it for our basement remodel, recipes, future dream projects ( the kitchen! we have an ugly kitchen) and fashion inspiration. I find pinning to be the equivalent of taking a Valium for me. There’s something so soothing about it…
    Clicking over to your board now 🙂

8. Theresa June 18, 2013 at 14:42 #

I find cute things on there but rarely pin anything myself.

9. psychsarah June 18, 2013 at 15:25 #

I’m with ya. There’s lots I don’t get about Pinterest. I joined for the same reason-planning a nursery, but really got sucked in to the recipes. Though now when I try one and it fails, I make sure to delete it, so I don’t forget and try it again (placenta brain much?) The celeb pics are totally bizarro. I love all the purple prettiness on your B5 board 🙂

10. nelipotting June 19, 2013 at 03:27 #

I use pinterest mainly for recipes, and I’m like you in that I actually try them out. I have a separate board for recipes that I tried and actually liked. LOL. I have a few extra boards where I put diy and gardening information. But I don’t mind the inspirational quotes on there too much, actually I’d much rather see them on pinterest than on facebook because I can filter them out more easily on pinterest (just stop following the board). And yeah, the celebrity photo thing is creepy, like virtual stalking. In years from now there will be serial killers with pinterest boards of personal celebrity photos.

11. theyellowblanket June 19, 2013 at 22:29 #

I don’t get pinterest at all. In the same way that I don’t get twitter. I’ve tried, I just don’t understand why anyone pins things and tweets things!