Dude, So Weird

11 Jun

With the permission of my high-risk OB, I’ve been going on outings once a week in an attempt to keep my sanity. Usually they consist of going to the mall and lunch with my mom.

Today, in honor of hitting 28 weeks, and to try this new-fangled prospect of embracing, I tentatively stepped into a baby store for the first time – with the notion of starting to comparison shop cribs, strollers, car seats, etc.

The saleswoman was incredibly helpful, and spent close to 45 minutes with my mom and I covering everything from crib mattresses to the ways car seats buckle.

My mom engaged with her and asked questions. I on the other hand was a deer in the headlights. Half the time everything she said went in one ear and out the other. The rest of the time I thought she felt like I was catatonic.

Now mind you – I’ve been doing some online window shopping for a while now. I have a board on pinterest and everything. Doing it in the comfort of my own home was fine. There was an air of detachment to the whole thing and I was really proud of myself for doing it.

But in the shop – I guess I just didn’t know how to digest it all. It felt like an out-of-body experience.

We’re going to another store next week. Hopefully by then I will have processed this whole thing and may actually enjoy it. Hopefully.

Or at the very least I hope I won’t be how I was today, which was basically this:

Dude – today was so weird.

17 Responses to “Dude, So Weird”

1. Belle June 11, 2013 at 17:00 #

Hahahaha, sweet Mo, I think ALL future mamas are like this the first time they venture out to look at baby stuff. Some b/c they are scared to death (the ifers and those who know too much) and some because this is just bloody overwhelming. I’m super proud of you for making the outing and thinking ahead a bit. xoxo

2. robinflynn June 11, 2013 at 17:15 #

I had to chuckle just a little bit on this one because I was the exact same way. I just walked around in circles not really lookin at anything and it took me months before I would even go into a baby store. I had this weird irrational fear that the sales people would kick me out, that I some how didn’t really belong. I guess after spending so much time dreaming about wishing and hoping for something it is just too much to process.

One thing I will say for gear is to really look at the straps and buckles for your car seat. I have the Chicco Key Fit 30 (not a paid comment I just really love this carseat) and it is so easy to lossen the straps to get baby in and then tighten them. It is also super easy to adjust the straps for a growing baby. So if nothing else I would highly recommend at least playing with the straps and buckles. Glad you and B5 can get out of the house a bit.

On a totally unrelated note I spent about 4 months in Jerusalem the summer of 2011 I have very fond memories of Israel and your posts always bring me back there. I kind of love that 🙂

3. me0me June 11, 2013 at 17:18 #

GO MO GO!!! 🙂

4. Melanie June 11, 2013 at 17:25 #

Haha awesome. And LOVE the bunny!

5. Theresa June 11, 2013 at 18:44 #

Glad to hear you’re going out!! When I went to register for stuff I took a nap afterwards bc I was so overwhelmed. :p

6. SM June 11, 2013 at 19:19 #

Woohoo, Mo! I haven’t ventured into a baby store for Turkey yet. I went in when I was preparing the house for the homestudy but that was easy. I knew without a doubt that we would be getting foster kids someday. I still feel like I’ll jinx Turkey’s chances if I go into the store and look for stuff for him. Maybe I’ll get over that someday soon.

7. fromheretomotherhood June 11, 2013 at 19:39 #

During my first couple trips to a baby store, I felt like an imposter. I think it’s because I thought it would never happen for us and still had a hard time believing it was real and I wasn’t playing make believe. It got easier though with more trips and time.

8. SRB June 11, 2013 at 21:32 #

Girl, I’m not sure if I am more proud of the outing to the shop or the Pinterest board. Both are HUGE. I suspect a bunny theme might be happening. 🙂

• Courtney June 11, 2013 at 22:21 #

I’m more proud of the pinterest board… simply because Mo does not strike me as a pinner! 😉

9. Courtney June 11, 2013 at 22:15 #

I haven’t even read this whole post yet but must comment! I am so proud of you for going to a baby store! The first thought in my head was, “YOU DIDN’T! YOU DID! HORRAY!”

10. slese1014 June 11, 2013 at 23:52 #

I’m so happy to hear you’re getting out, and into a baby store?!?! That’s fantastic! I still get overwhelmed when I got into baby stores. And to be 28 weeks is wonderful! I don’t do pintrest, mostly because I’m not organized enough to start pinning anything, but to have a board with all your ideas is wonderful. Now that you’ve seen your ideas in real life, here’s hoping you’ll be a little less deer in headlights. So excited for you!

11. missohkay June 12, 2013 at 03:27 #

At least you were an ADORABLE bunny in the headlights! Good job making it through this step for the first time. It’ll get easier.

12. Kerstin June 12, 2013 at 10:01 #

Deer Mo 😉

baby stores are strange, foreign places, huge belly or not. (Did you notice? ALWAYS bigger from the inside!) Glad your mother seems to speak babystorish.

Kerstin

13. nonsequiturchica June 12, 2013 at 21:36 #

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!

14. iamstacey June 12, 2013 at 22:30 #

Bunny is hilarious. Exactly the expression I pictured you had in the store.

15. RelaxedNoMore June 12, 2013 at 23:20 #

Yay – proud of you very much I am! 🙂
    28 weeks – wow – time flies (though I can imaging it crawling for you).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Whole Pinterest Thing | Mommy Odyssey - June 17, 2013

[…] mentioned a couple of posts ago that I started using Pinterest. A few of you (understandably so) were pretty surprised, because […]