Urgh

19 May

Just found out that I got a 169 on my 1 hour glucose tolerance test.  Of course I did.

I hate this. I feel like a beached whale and there’s barely anything I can do about it. And now I have to go in for the 3 hour test.

And considering we’ve always fallen on the ass-end of statistics, I’m thinking it’s not a stretch to believe that I’ll fail that one too and I’ll have Gestational Diabetes to contend with.

Ugh. Just urgh.

18 Responses to “Urgh”

1. mon May 19, 2013 at 23:08 #

Awwwh don’t stress too much, there are lots of things you can do! you can easily control it with very simple diet adjustments and if you add excercise (I did eliptical with my daughter a lot) it will help you with getting into shape with labor. I was just diagnosed this past friday at 14 weeks sigh, again…. Just look up gest. diabetes diet or menu…

• Courtney May 19, 2013 at 23:43 #

Umm… I laughed out loud to this comment because, well, Mo is on bed rest. The elliptical isn’t really an option for her. But I’m glad that you can control your GD with diet and exercise! You’re very lucky (& I genuinely mean that!) that GD isn’t a big deal for you. I think for most, it’s not hard to manage, but it is quite the pain in the ass for a gal stuck in bed.

• Mo May 20, 2013 at 00:14 #

Thanks for that court. I think that comment almost made my head explode.

• slese1014 May 20, 2013 at 19:50 #

Obviously this reader missed that big point….but I have a friend who was diagnosed GD and did not exercise at all. All simply diet controlled 🙂 Here’s hoping you pass the 3 hour and you won’t have to worry, but if you do, fingers crossed diet is your answer 😀

2. RelaxedNoMore May 19, 2013 at 23:13 #

Ugh, that sucks. I don’t know what the odds are for passing the 3-hour test when you’ve gotten high numbers on the 1-hour test (I skipped the 1-hour test and went straight for the 3-hour test). But my fingers are crossed that it was just a fluke and you’ll pass the 3-hour test! And if not, that at least you won’t have to go the insulin route!

3. Courtney May 19, 2013 at 23:39 #

This sucks. Being on bed rest, I’m not sure you can do much besides adjust diet, which blows because there’s not much fun to be had on bed rest besides watching movies and eating pizza… At least that’s what I’d do if I was on bed rest. ;). I don’t have much to say but that this totally sucks, and I wish it wasn’t so. I’m feeling sorry for you right along side of you, Mo! Hang in there. Gah!

4. Erin May 20, 2013 at 03:17 #

169 on the one hour test isn’t that terribly high, so it is well within the realm of possibility to pass the 3 hour test. I totally get, though, that statistics have not played in your favor in the past. I have Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes, an autoimmune thyroid condition, partially blocked fallopian tubes, and PCOS which made getting pregnant very difficult and when I succeed was considered “very high risk.” Diabetes always sucks. Diabetes when pregnant sucks more. But if you do end up with GD, it is very possible to deliver healthy term babies and I have loads of tricks I’m happy to share.

5. Momof2 May 20, 2013 at 04:08 #

Been there done that with bedrest and preexisting diabetes (not gestational)… nothing worked. I had to cut any carbs before noon. Stinks, and time passes slower than molasses, but you do what you have to do and get through it. Not sure how far along you are, but I do hope the time passes fast. For me, it worked to focus on everything positive I could – plans for the baby, plans for me once I was done on bedrest (and for me it was then 8 loooooong weeks of recovery, plus more) I planned out eating meals I was missing, etc. and I reminded myself every single day. “You can do this! You can do this! You can do this!” Good luck!

6. jaclyn May 20, 2013 at 05:24 #

I had a 171 on the one hour, and passed all four components of the three hour. My son was born at 7 lbs, 6 ounces so there were no problems. I’m sorry you have to go through this and best of luck.

7. Beth May 20, 2013 at 11:38 #

Oh, this sucks. If you haven’t had enough to worry about you now have this. Wishing you well for the test. Be prepared for a big baby if my cousins are anything to go by. Hoping that this is linked to the weight and will go away when you get your baby.

8. ozifrog May 20, 2013 at 12:16 #

Yeah got it at 14 weeks on bed rest til 30 weeks. I managed it ok with lots of monitoring, you just split everything up into smaller meals, and obviously ate a lot of boring shit. Surprisingly, the managing of the sugar levels actually gave me something I felt I could focus on and control in bedrest helll. And I had no gd related complications…bub was smallish despite predictions. I was on medication and bgl monitoring. ( Try the bump to baby diet book, my dietician wrote it and she rocks, the food is delicious &easy easy easy.)

9. SRB May 20, 2013 at 14:48 #

Well shit. Why not, right? Eff balls, man. URGH indeed. FU GD, love SRB.

10. Vero May 20, 2013 at 18:46 #

I had 199 at 1 hr and passed the 3 hr test. Hope you don’t have GD. But if you do there are some yummy low carb things to eat.

11. slese1014 May 20, 2013 at 19:51 #

I’m fresh from by blood draw for my early 1 hour test. I won’t get the results until tomorrow, but I know the fear. I hope the 3 hour is a better number for you and you won’t have to struggle with this too. Good Luck! And I’ll be thinking of you!

12. Cristy May 21, 2013 at 00:53 #

No advice to add (the ladies have it covered). Just sorry that on top of everything else you’re facing this too. Hoping the 3 hr test comes back with a better number. In the meantime, remember you’re doing all you can.

13. Daryl May 21, 2013 at 01:25 #

Aw, crap. It seems really unfair that you should have one more thing to worry about. Fingers crossed for good results on the 3-hour test and no GD!

14. Brooke May 21, 2013 at 04:35 #

Of course you may have the diabeetus, why in the world would you ever think that you wouldn’t end up with gd???? I found it comical to be smacked with Gd at week 15, i ate cheese which I hate and wished it was fruit or cereal for 23.5 friggin long weeks…you will too if that is the road you have to hoe. On the upside you get even more monitoring 🙂

15. Courtney May 21, 2013 at 06:45 #

And one more thing… eat all the goodies you want now before that 3 hour test, just in case you do have GD! I ate 3 cupcakes 2 days before my test just in case. It was worth it – even the terrible stomach ache I had for two days afterwards!