Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is. Or Something.

6 Aug

Ok folks – I just finished writing this encouraging email to Jjiraffe after her last post. I told her to screw those people. That if she wants to do something she should just do it.

After writing that email I realized what I freaking hypocrite I am. Sometimes I’m so scared of my own shadow I can barely get out of bed let alone pursue stuff I love. And that’s just stupid. So -I have decided to take my own advice.

Let me explain:

I’m a podcast junkie. I love them. I listen to them all the time. I’ve even written here before that I wanted to create my own podcast.

So the truth is I have an idea for one. I’ve had one for a while.

When you search for “infertility” on itunes what you get is a load of Circle and Bloom rip offs and nothing of note.  This is one realm that needs to be taken over by us! Yes! We must rule the airwaves! Or something!

So I’d officially like to announce the launch of “Bitter Infertiles” a weekly podcast hosted by yours truly, and starring…. Well – I hope starring a few of you. 🙂

I want to cover all realms here. So I’d love to break down the cast like this:

1. An RPLer (that’s me!)
  2. A woman currently beginning to pursue IVF (that’s one of you guys!)
  3. A woman currently beginning to pursue adoption (you again!)
  4. A woman who is parenting after adoption/IVF (guess who that would be – you!)
  5. Other possibilities: Women currently pursuing DE or DS, women choosing to stop treatments and live child free, women pursuing surrogacy.

Whoever wants to be a part of this needs to be willing to go on tangents with me, be a confident talker, and have about an hour a week plus a couple of hours prep time. And please don’t let your insecurities here get in the way. Don’t worry – I’ll talk you through it. You just need to be game.

So? Who’s in? Email me and let’s get this show on the road!

20 Responses to “Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is. Or Something.”

1. Shelley August 6, 2012 at 16:11 #

OMG, you read my mind! I’m a big podcast listener and have done that same search, only to find out that there are NO podcasts dedicated to IF. I’d even take an episode of a podcast dedicated to it, but I haven’t found anything yet. I’ve been thinking of how there’s very little media out there that looks at IF for real. I’ve even fantasized lately about making an IF documentary! Anyways, long story short, I think this is a fantastic idea and I’d definitely be interested in participating as someone pursuing IVF.

• Mo August 6, 2012 at 17:02 #

Yay! Drop me an email

2. Bon August 6, 2012 at 16:16 #

I love this idea, and although I can’t contribute to the podcast itself – I’d definitely listen to it!! 😀

3. Denise August 6, 2012 at 16:59 #

Great idea. But change the name please. It doesn’t accurately reflect the range of IF topics you mention or the range of women you hope to reach or feature. You could even ask your readers for suggestions.

• Mo August 6, 2012 at 17:01 #

Thanks Denise!
      Re: the name; well, I think it will reflect the intended snark and tone. You can never really encompass everything 🙂 but I’m totally open to suggestions!

4. Denise August 6, 2012 at 17:03 #

Ps I’m in a parenting after infertility support group of 75+ women and can reach another 100 in an infertility support group, and could send them this info. If the title better reflected all their experiences I think you’d be more successful. Right now probably no more than 25% would relate.

• Mo August 6, 2012 at 17:04 #

Ok, we’ll see how it goes! 🙂

5. pjsarecomfyn August 6, 2012 at 17:45 #

YAY! Go you!. If you ever need anyone to discuss poop, vaginas, or anything super inappropriate, you know who to call. LOL

6. Kristin August 6, 2012 at 19:29 #

If you need another RPL’er to bounce things off of, count me in.

7. Rebecca Pallack (@RPallack) August 6, 2012 at 21:50 #

Sounds like you might just get a lot of women willing to talk about their experiences.

8. Daryl August 7, 2012 at 01:48 #

LOVE this idea! Not sure I’ve got the ovaries to participate–and I don’t really fall into any of those categories right this second–but I would definitely listen!

9. cassiedash August 7, 2012 at 05:30 #

Amazing idea. Go you! But might I suggest also including a few women who are perhaps earlier in their infertility journey — women undergoing medicated cycles or IUI but not yet IVF and women who are parenting after surviving these things as well? I know IVF is often the end of the road, but there is so much struggle and pain (and bitterness) even before that. Just an idea. Can’t wait to see how all this turns out! I think it will be fabulous!!

10. Lise August 7, 2012 at 14:37 #

Love this idea! I will totally listen! Personally, I like the title. Infertility sucks and anyone who goes through this has every right to be bitter. For me the whole taboo around ever sounding bitter is quite upsetting actually. What are you supposed to feel? Gratitude that god/the universe/fate is testing me this way? Nah, that’s not really me 😉

11. Theresa August 8, 2012 at 03:21 #

If you need any more “pursuing IVF” women, let me know. I’m currently on the pill and therefore super snarky 😉

• Theresa August 8, 2012 at 03:23 #

oops forgot to add for our first one.

12. Kristen G. August 8, 2012 at 03:41 #

Congrats on doing this…so excited for you!!!
    XO

13. Alissa/MissC August 9, 2012 at 07:11 #

Hmmm…interesting idea. I would have no idea how to go about it, but I may be interested as more of a part-time guest. I would fall under the pregnant after IF and loss category… and scared shitless.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bullets and Bunnies: Out of It Edition « Mommy Odyssey - August 13, 2012

[…] response to my last post was overwhelming! So much that I haven’t had the time to reply to all of you. So here’s […]

2. Here come the Bitter Infertiles! « tales from the waiting room - August 27, 2012

[…] Don’t Tell Me, This American Life, Radiolab, The Moth and Books on the Nightstand). So I knew just what Mo was talking about when she pointed out the lack of an infertility […]

3. New Infertility Podcast! | Too Many Fish to Fry - August 28, 2012

[…] after my anihilation humiliation er, personal challenge at BlogHer, Mo had this brilliant idea. Why isn’t there a podcast for people who are going through adoption/loss/infertility? So many women and men are dealing with […]