Give Me Drugs, Woman!

18 Jun

So I went to the RE today. And honestly, I’m not surprised at the outcome.

First – let me confess something: A small part of me was hoping that the date with ole’ wandy today would reveal a 6-week embryo.

Alas, my ute is as empty as the day is long. Or something.

But let’s begin at the beginning.

Allow me to introduce you to Dr. Dexter.

Not this Dexter:

This Dexter:

I’ve never had a lady bits doc that was a woman. I guess I was expecting sunshine and unicorn farts. Dr. Dexter was not that.

She had crazy glasses (hence the nickname), and was very straight faced and analytical. It was only at the end that she actually seemed empathetic. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

After going through my history for an hour (!) mostly while typing it all on her computer, she pulled out wandy and took a look around. From what she saw, I didn’t ovulate this month at all.

So an hour and 15 minutes into the appointment, after poking around in there, we sat down and got to the heart of it.

I came in there expecting to either beg for clom.id (or something similar) or just have it prescribed.

Alas, Dr. Dexter had other plans.

She looked me in the eye and said: “You’re not going to like what I have to say.”

Ruh-Roh.

I told her to just go ahead and say it. And she did:

“You don’t have a fertility problem. You have a weight problem.”

Yep, you read right folks. I’ve been prescribed a diet.

Honestly? I’m not surprised. I’ve said it here before: I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been. And most of my past irregular cycle issues have been during periods that I was overweight.

Dr. Dexter said this is common with PCOS. Weight loss = regular cycles, weight gain = irregular cycles.

She said that even losing 5% of my current weight will probably jump start my cycle.

She sent me in for some blood tests that I will be getting tomorrow (E2, LH, Progesterone, and a beta just to make completely sure that my 100 pee sticks didn’t lie), and gave me a prescription to jump start AF, after I get the results and talk to her on the phone on Wednesday.

She pointed out that I am dangerously close to being a diabetic according to my latest blood tests, and the more weight I lose before the pregnancy, the better my chances are of avoiding pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes.

Dr. Dexter did offer to do ovulation monitoring for the next few months with mid-cycle ultrasounds and all of those bells and whistles. She said it was unnecessary, but I think this woman has seen enough infertiles to understand my plight and therefore offered it for peace of mind. I’m not sure if I’m going to opt to do that. I’ll have to wait and see how I feel about it. It’s a lot of hassle. I may just opt to chart this cycle and see how that goes. She sympathized with my lack of patience, and my desire to get knocked up ASAP, which was nice.

I look at her hopelessly. “No drugs?”

Nope. No drugs for me. Just a good ole’ fashioned diet.

I’ve been hating on my body so much over the last few months that I haven’t been able to bring myself to diet. I’m sure most of you are aware of this vicious cycle. Hate my body, eat some chocolate to make me feel better, end up feeling worse because I ate that freaking chocolate.

I think that my lack of patience, and unending need to get this show on the road may end up being the swift kick in the butt that I need.

My cousin is a naturopathic dietician. She got a call from me today, and we’ll be meeting once a week starting this Thursday. She’ll be my own private (and free! Yay!) Weight Watchers meeting.

I’m ready to get this show on the road. I’m overdue for another pregnancy. I mean, it’s already been almost 4 months since my last one. This just won’t do.

Oy vey.

25 Responses to “Give Me Drugs, Woman!”

1. Nisha T. June 18, 2012 at 22:33 #

Come be my friend on My Fitness Pal–it’s awesome and I’m trying to lose weight too! (And you can totally do this, and I totally get that vicious cycle–I was in it too.)

2. Cristy June 18, 2012 at 22:36 #

Okay, so not what I was expecting. But look at it this way, it is a plan. And it sounds like (hopefully) that she’s not blowing you off. So, there’s hope. Be it of the variety that not one of us wants to hear, but it’s there.

3. Rebecca Pallack (@RPallack) June 18, 2012 at 22:45 #

Well, um, yeah, I too am obese. When I started on the weight loss path in 2007, when J joined the Army, I lost a good portion of what I had gained from birth control pills and junk food (which is a feel good drug for me), and my periods became regular. Organic foods are the best jump start and the fruits do taste sweeter. I too have to get my foot back in the gym door soon as I’m released from surgical rest. My two week appointment from the endo/cyst surgery is Thursday. I’ll no more reason for sloth rest probably. No good reason to eat my emotions either. I need to lose the 17 lbs I put on this year. So I’ll give you lots of emotional support for your diet! I know I’ll need it too.

4. BleedingTulip June 18, 2012 at 22:46 #

I know how great it would be, to have had her just hand over a bottle of pills. Pills are WAY easier to take, then dieting. (struggled with being overweight basically my entire life – I had my mom tell me I was fat in elementary school. I totally get the eat-chocolate-to-feel-better cycle) But I’m rooting for you!!! *waves pompoms… or maybe something less annoying?* That’s so great you’ve got a holistic dietician for a cousin, I can’t wait to hear what she has to say!

5. Pcosbarrenness June 18, 2012 at 22:48 #

I’ve had good luck with low carb so far (have to be really strict about it, but it’s the only thing that has gotten me to get below my “infertility treatment weight”). Also I try to eat as clean as possible, although if I am craving something carb-y I allow “low carb splurges” such as toppings off a pizza.

6. Her Royal Fabulousness June 18, 2012 at 23:04 #

I think dietary changes are the hardest ones to make. You are so lucky to get the personal coaching! Here’s hoping this is the answer! Good luck 🙂

7. Erin June 18, 2012 at 23:08 #

Ugggghhhh. Yeah. My appointment is next week and I fear the doctor will tell me the same thing. In which case: OK. Maybe I just need to hear it out loud.

8. TG June 18, 2012 at 23:09 #

Ha. Poor Fat Kitteh! And poor you!! I bet you can find a supportive online community pretty fast, though. And after that, if you’re still looking for drugs that help with weight loss, I hear good things about meth.

9. SRB June 18, 2012 at 23:21 #

Wow! I can’t believe you got in so fast! My Canadian ass is jealous of your healthcare system. Never thought I would say that!

The 5% thing is pretty standard (doesn’t help my “lean” PCOS though) BUT a low GI diet does help with the related insulin resistance and I feel better when I stick to it. I can recommend fine good

• SRB June 18, 2012 at 23:23 #

Mrrrrrr. Comment fail. Anyway…

I can recommend some good low GU books that are more about choosing foods than actually cooking them. *shudder*

10. robin June 19, 2012 at 00:17 #

I started ovulating when I lost weight, even though I think I’m considered “lean” PCOS. I lost 15lb and started ovulating almost every month! It was nuts! I also was doing a low glycemic index thing (the “phase 2” of the south beach diet) and once I figured out how to eat I didn’t have to think so much about it anymore. It did take a long time before I noticed a difference by ovulating, though – about 5-6 months. But it definitely beats being on metformin. Don’t starve yourself, and good luck 😀

11. Daryl June 19, 2012 at 01:40 #

I’m sorry there’s no quick fix for this, but it sounds like getting healthy and back on good terms with your body will be a great thing for you! I know it’s not what you wanted, but I hope this plan helps you get what you really want!

12. Marie June 19, 2012 at 02:31 #

Oh, well I WAS sorry that I didn’t put any chocolate in the mini care package I just sent, but now I see that I was totally right to skip it. See what a good friend I am?

13. missohkay June 19, 2012 at 02:56 #

Far be it from me to be the ray of hope, but having a fertility-related aspect of your life that you have some control over sounds kind of awesome. Not that it’s easy, of course. But CONTROL YAY!

14. Christina June 19, 2012 at 03:08 #

I agree with missohkay that at least there is something in this mess you can some control over. It’s not super great, but it’s something! As soon as I find it though, I’ll send you some diet chocolate 🙂

And phat kitteh is adorable! More of him to cuddle!

15. alexmmr June 19, 2012 at 05:56 #

No metformin? The summer I started taking it, 15lbs dropped with no effort. It’s been known to regulate a pcos cycle and cause spontanious ovulation, and I was on it to prevent GD (seems to have worked). So I’m surprised the doc didn’t give you that in addition to the diet.

But I’ve been there. Had to drop weight really quickly before the docs would do an IVF cycle. I’ll give all sorts of advice if you want it, but I won’t leave it all here in case you don’t. Ok, one bit of advice – eat as much protien as possible. It’s the magical food category for making weight loss easier for you, and weight gain easier for your future fetus.

16. St. Elsewhere June 19, 2012 at 08:55 #

Will she not start you on Metformin? Not even she rah-rahs about you being an almost diabetic?

P.S. If you do start metformin, also ask for B12 supplementation.

17. marwil June 19, 2012 at 10:40 #

Now I’m intrigued by the naturopathic diet. The hardest thing to change is diet, at least in my experience. You can totally do this.

18. PM June 19, 2012 at 11:49 #

Good luck sweetie!!!!
    We are in this one together!
    Love ya

19. pjsarecomfyn June 19, 2012 at 15:28 #

Girl we’ll do this shiz together. I can’t help but wonder if that is my long cycle issue as well? We’ll both lose a few lbs and just see if that is the ticket……..saying “that’s the ticket” reminds me of an old man for some reason.

20. RelaxedNoMore June 19, 2012 at 19:38 #

I so get this vicious cycle! I meant to lose at least 5kg last year to improve my health, chances at pregnancy, and all those good reasons. Instead, I gained 5kg – even before starting the fertility drugs. So, yeah, I get.

Pills certainly would’ve been easier. But I’m really glad she gave you the “kick in the butt” you said you needed. All fingers crossed for you to break the vicious cycle and drop that weight! You can do it!

21. cassiedash June 19, 2012 at 21:54 #

Ugh. I hate diets. I really do. HOWEVER, if it’s all in the name of getting healthy for fertility purposes AND it produces a healthy baby at the end of it all, then it’s totally worth it. Wishing you luck, because I know it’s not easy!

22. Emily @ablanket2keep June 20, 2012 at 03:48 #

Ugh, not fun. Over here working on losing weight too. I hope you get healthy and it really helps like she says it will.

23. Lisa @ hapahopes June 20, 2012 at 04:16 #

Okay, I’ll be irrational here and say that I want her to give you drugs too! Losing weight BLOWS! It is hard. I know it’s really hard. Worth it, yes, but SO NOT SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS! I’d rather do an IVF cycle than try to lose weight any day… as long as it’s only one antagonist cycle… and it ends in a big positive beta and a healthy take home baby. Dammit. Weight loss is easier, isn’t it?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I Gots Me Some Drugs!!!! « Mommy Odyssey - October 29, 2012

[…] RE, a handful of 43 day cycles, and me crying in her office out of sheer frustration – but Dr. Dexter finally did […]