Ode to Shmerson

14 Feb

We interrupt this blogging hiatus to bring you a special Valentine’s Day post.

You’ve held my hair as I heaved over the toilet and we both cheered.

You’ve cleaned up my puke when I couldn’t make it there on time.

You’ve taken Luna out for every walk in the last 3 months.

You’ve stared at me protectively and ordered me to sit when you felt I was doing too much.

You’ve washed every dirty dish in the house.

You’ve cooked dinner while carefully avoiding the food I can’t manage to look at or stomach.

You’ve held my hand, and wandered through hospital corridors to make sure I felt safe while trying to help our baby boy.

You’ve cried with me when we’ve been afraid for him.

You’ve laughed with me, and cried tears of joy (and sometimes tears of fear) each time we’ve seen him on the ultrasound screen.

You’ve told me I’m beautiful almost every night, even while I was feeling fat and gross (and you looked like you meant it, which makes it all the more remarkable).

You’ve lamented not being a sea horse, so you could carry some of my burden.

Each time I’ve cried about my body failing me, you’ve reminded me that it’s working a miracle for both of us as we speak.

Each time I think it’s impossible to love you more, you surprise me and make me fall in love with you all over again.

Happy Valentines Day, my amazing husband. The father of our lost children, and of the little boy that will come into our lives in a few months. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

PS – Thank you everyone who’s emailed and tweeted to check in on me. I’ve been terrible about replying, I know, and I’m sorry. I’m still in a bit of a coping-zombie-bubble. Hope to be back with all of you soon. Xoxo!

17 Responses to “Ode to Shmerson”

1. Belle February 14, 2012 at 20:07 #

I’m glad to read this post! I knew the Shmerson would be taking good care of you and I look forward to your return to the blog world. Until then, take care of yourself and your little baby boy. *big hugs*

2. skytimes February 14, 2012 at 20:36 #

Lovely post. Wishing all shmersons a wonderful day! xo

3. Rebecca Pallack (@RPallack) February 14, 2012 at 20:38 #

Hey its nice to see that you are still around. Hope that the pregnancy is progressing a bit more smoothly.

4. JM February 14, 2012 at 21:25 #

That picture of you two? ADORABLE. Love it. You better have it framed somewhere in your house, lady. Adorable.

Glad ya’ll are doing well 🙂

5. Rachel @ Eggs In A Row February 14, 2012 at 21:29 #

So cute! Happy Valentine’s Day! Love you

6. Jem February 14, 2012 at 21:33 #

He’s a keeper!

7. missohkay February 14, 2012 at 22:02 #

Glad you took a brief hiatus to spread some love. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming of taking it easy. Thinking of you often!

8. PM February 14, 2012 at 23:03 #

Ode to my brave friend.
    You carry this miracle inside you with such care and grace.
    You’ve been brave enough try again and again despite the fear and pain.
    You have’nt lost faith for a second, even if sometimes it felt you have.
    And most importantly, you kept your head up high and smiled throug those tears.
    You’ll be one heck of a momma and, Shmerson one heck of a dadda…..
    I adore you both…
    Happy V day, and by V

• PM February 14, 2012 at 23:03 #

I don’t mean your cooch…….

9. SRB February 14, 2012 at 23:07 #

Whoa! You forgot to mention that he’s a stone cold fox!

10. Infertile Days February 15, 2012 at 02:22 #

awe, what a sweet post, and your husband is awesome!
    hope things are going well

11. Daryl February 15, 2012 at 04:13 #

What a sweetie! You just let him keep taking care of you!

12. Christina February 15, 2012 at 04:24 #

Hope you enjoyed the day with your wonderful, loving boys!

13. jjiraffe February 15, 2012 at 09:13 #

This post made me cry. What a good guy you have — I would accept no less for my beautiful friend. And that photo: Just lovely, you too. Xoxo

14. slowmamma February 16, 2012 at 07:36 #

This is the sweetest Valentine I’ve read this year. And that picture is fantastic!

15. Emily @ablanket2keep February 17, 2012 at 09:17 #