Advertisements

Hey, Other Shoe – Did You Really Have to Drop? Stupid Shoe.

4 Jan

Ok we’ll start with the good news.

It’s a perfectly healthy baby BOY. Yep – it’s a boy. And he’s just fine. I was ecstatic to see that teenie weenie. Guesses be damned.

My cervix on the other hand – is not ok.

During the U/S the Russian noticed that my cervix was shortened and funneled.

In other words – I have an incompetent cervix.

Of all the pregnancy complications I seriously didn’t think this would be the one I would be contending with, and it sucks.

So – the Russian wishes we would have caught it sooner, but there’s nothing to be done about that. For right now it looks like on Monday (at 16 weeks 3 days) I’m going in for surgery to have a cerclage put in (that’s basically a stitch that’s supposed to keep my cervix closed). According to the Russian, if put in up until 14 weeks, there’s a 90% chance of carrying to term. But we’re a little bit late to the party so he’s putting my chances to less than that, he guessed around the 85% mark. Until monday I’m on strict bed rest (again).

When the Russian first pointed out the problem I was actually quite calm. I only really started freaking out after having to call people who were eagerly awaiting to find out Shmaby’s sex and tell them that it’s a boy, and I have to go into surgery to keep him in as long as possible.

I’ve done my freaking out and crying for the day. Now I need some freaking reassurance. Pile on the success stories please. I need them.

Dude, when I said the other day that us ALI ladies tend to always fall on the bad side of the stats, apparently, I wasn’t kidding. Sheesh. Let’s just hope this is truly the only other shoe and I’m done being on the bad side of the stats. I’m kind of overdue for that, right?

Here’s hoping.

Hang in there Shmaby boy.

Advertisements

36 Responses to “Hey, Other Shoe – Did You Really Have to Drop? Stupid Shoe.”

  1. Graph Paper Story January 4, 2012 at 20:49 #

    A friend of mine had an incompetent cervix which was discovered too late – I think she was in the 20s somewhere week-wise. She was on bedrest until late in the pregnancy (when they thought it would be fine for her to go into labor any time).

    The baby was born LATE!! After all that! And perfectly healthy, of course. 🙂

  2. Kathryn January 4, 2012 at 20:50 #

    I don’t have any experience with this, but just saying, sending you virtual CHOCO….. and hugs. And comfort. And congratulations on the boy! Even if you thought/hoped it was a girl, life has a way of just saying “I don’t care what you want.” But anyway… he will be adorable.

  3. Rachel @ Eggs In A Row January 4, 2012 at 20:56 #

    I truly have a good feeling here. I do. I know it will be stressful, but you are going to do great. I think that you have been in the “unsuccessful” 15% enough that you will sail through this.

    I really truly wish I could help more. I’ll go google doctor some things, but you stay the hell away from the internet, in case. Ok? I love you.

  4. MJ January 4, 2012 at 21:01 #

    Hey there … I have no stories to tell, but know that I’m thinking of you and Shamby boy. 🙂 Definitely do as Rachel says and STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET!!! Not worth the extra stress you may find.

    And Rachel is also right about the good feeling; I’ve been thinking about you today and feeling really good things for you and the Shamby. Hang in there!

    XOXO

  5. Flowergirl January 4, 2012 at 21:23 #

    Hmm, never come across one of those. But what I do know is that it is just is, and has nothing to do with being caused by something you did or didn’t do. It is just one of those things that happens. They can do something to treat it, and so you just have to go for that and worry as little as possible. Good luck from now til the op.

    FG x

  6. Angela January 4, 2012 at 21:27 #

    Ill be praying for you! I know exactly how scary it is to be told that, but then we didnt find out ’til 19.5 weeks, and it was too late. Also be grateful, though, that you found out from a doctor who believes in cerclage, its controversial and some docs refuse it. Hope all goes well!

  7. Chon January 4, 2012 at 21:41 #

    Congrats on a mini schmerman (cripes no idea how to spell) not so awesome on cervix. However the Russian, he is all over it. Those damn percentages. A boy!!!!

  8. robin January 4, 2012 at 21:45 #

    85% is still good! Sending you good thoughts! 🙂 🙂

  9. Rebecca Pallack (@RPallack) January 4, 2012 at 22:14 #

    Congrats on the boy. Hey you know purple is the color of royalty so um, its still okay in my book to put up lots of purple..tinged a bit more to the grey side of the spectrum if need be. Bunnies would be super cute and great for either sex too. Butterflies could still be used as you could add in other flying creatures too in the decorating scheme. See you could still basically have your purple with butterflies just modified.

    Well its good that they caught the problem now. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping that you stay on the safe side of the statistics.

  10. Jonelle January 4, 2012 at 22:32 #

    Yay its a boy! Congratulations!

    My BFF had to have a cercaluge at 21 weeks and it was a success! She delivered at 37 or 38 weeks. I’m glad though that they caught this early. Praying for good things for you and the Shmebaby!

  11. JM January 4, 2012 at 22:56 #

    Awwww, big big hugs. God forbid this could have been easy, right? I am so sorry you have to go through the ordeal of a cerclage, but have every faith in your ability to keep that darn little boy cooking for as long as he needs to.

  12. Theresa January 4, 2012 at 23:27 #

    I was thinking about that today – how it seems if’ers have the short end of the stick all the way through.
    Hang in there baby, hope the surgery does its job!! Keep us posted!!

  13. SRB January 4, 2012 at 23:48 #

    You had a 50/50 shot of guessing right, but who cares? Yay! Shmaby boy!

    I remember when I was pregnant again after my ectopic thinking “There is a 15% chance of it happening again.” During yoga I would focus on the opposite – that there was an 85% that it WOULDN’T. So, let’s flip this around. There is *only* a 15% chance it might not work, and then it affects carrying to term or the full 40 weeks. With a sample size of a whole host of women with a whole host of other issues and conditions. So the chances for Mo? Likely much, much less. Meaning a much, much better chance of a post in about 24 weeks titled “Lordy! Lordy! Look Who’s 40 (weeks)!” followed by complaints about being overdue. At which time we will be happy to dispense advice on how to kick start labour.

    P.S. TM on the post name. We can discuss payment later.

    xo

  14. Infertile Days January 4, 2012 at 23:56 #

    oh boy a boy!
    sorry to hear you are having some problems, but i am glad he caught it, and is trying to fix it.
    keep thinking about the 85%, not the 15%!
    hang in there

  15. Katie January 5, 2012 at 00:47 #

    85% odds of baby boy staying in! Pretty good odds. Baby boy! Holy crap! Yeah!

    Now rest rest rest. Aren’t you glad you can blog on bedrest? 😉

  16. Emily @ablanket2keep January 5, 2012 at 01:34 #

    YAY! Congrats on the Shmaby boy! I think everything will be fine. The Russian is doing everything he can for you 2. Take is easy. Keeping you, Shmaby and your cervix in my prayers.

  17. Christina January 5, 2012 at 03:31 #

    Yay for a boy! Glad that has been the only thing your premonition/intuition was wrong about!

    The cervix issues suck, but I know many success stories of cerclage. Most of them end with deliveries after 38w, the earliest one I can recall was at like 35/36w and baby was great and healthy! Just remember that! 85% is still great odds and even that tiny 15% doesn’t mean your little Shmerboy won’t be 8lbs of happy, healthy, crying baby-goodness!

  18. Cristy January 5, 2012 at 03:38 #

    Hooray for a little boy! That’s awesome news.

    I’m so sorry that you have this news (bed rest is far from fun) and that you’re back in anxiety-induced territory. But I’m holding out hope for you and your little one.

  19. Libby January 5, 2012 at 05:54 #

    What about “mighty putty”? I’ve seen the informercials and that stuff looks STRONG…

    Keep your head up.

  20. embracingtherain January 5, 2012 at 06:46 #

    Come on Shmaby boy–stay in your mommy until you are full term. So sorry you are going through this Mo, but I am very glad the Russian caught it. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

  21. St. Elsewhere January 5, 2012 at 06:52 #

    Jeezus, this is one development you could surely do without….

    One of my SILs had a cerclage placed in her fifth month of pregnancy, and delivered her kid a fortnight shy of her due date – which is good.

    You shall rest well, and listen to the Russian. And I hope Russian will now order close monitoring.

    Here’s to a healthy baby boy born at full term!

  22. Kristen January 5, 2012 at 07:06 #

    Congrats on your healthy baby boy! Wonderful news!
    And so, so sorry about your being on the bad side of the stats with your cervix. Goodness…so unfair…so, so unfair for you to have anything to worry about.
    Sending you and your baby all my best thoughts and prayers…
    XOXO

  23. jjiraffe January 5, 2012 at 09:04 #

    Yay for a boy! I love having a boy. It’s been really unexpectedly wonderful.

    I followed a blogger who had a cerclage too then gave birth to a healthy baby. I can’t remember her name right now, but let me try to dig it up.

    Xoxo

  24. cattiz j January 5, 2012 at 12:34 #

    Aww it’s a boy! How sweet to know.

    Here’s a success story for you with a preventative cerclage put in. You can read the brief story in the right side-bar and dig deeper in her blog if you like. Here’s the link: http://ournewplana.blogspot.com/ She recently gave birth to a healthy baby boy just 12 days early.

    Really hope the procedure goes well on Monday. You have been through too much already..

  25. LisaB January 5, 2012 at 15:32 #

    Congrats on your baby boy! I don’t know much about incompetent cervix…I do have 1 friend who is almost full term with a cerclage. Good luck and hugs.

  26. Courtney January 5, 2012 at 19:09 #

    My transvaginal cerclage was placed around 16 weeks. My pregnancy prior to this was was also a boy and I lost him at 23 weeks to unknown incompetent cervix. So yes, the next pregnancy I had the cerclage placed. I didn’t have any funneling when it was placed though. I had it removed a little over 36 weeks and delivered my son, perfectly healthy at 38 weeks 3days. Feel free to check out my blog. Best of luck!

  27. RelaxedNoMore January 5, 2012 at 22:30 #

    Sending you hugs and congrats for your Shmerboy; and strengthening thoughts to your cervix! Hope the cerclage does it’s job!

    Oh, and purple dragons are totally cool – for boys and girls 🙂

  28. HBunny January 6, 2012 at 04:53 #

    Hi, I’ve lurked on your blog for a while now because my story has some similarities to yours…got married and started TTC right after the wedding (we’re both older). Got pregnant shortly after, only to miscarry and then suffer two more miscarriages, all within a 12 month period. On the 4th pregnancy, I made it out of the first trimester (yay!) only to have the doc notice the funneling at nearly 22 weeks. I had a cerclage placed that same afternoon and made it all the way to 36 1/2 weeks with my son and daughter. It sounds like you are in good hands (like I was) and your doctor caught it early. Remember that the odds are still greatly in your favor and hang in there!

  29. slowmamma January 6, 2012 at 04:56 #

    First, congratulations on the boy! I was with you hoping to have a girl but I can tell you honestly that you will LOVE having a boy.

    But damn it on the IC! When I was in the hospital on bedrest, IC was pretty much the most common reason that people were there. All of my fellow bedrest babes went on to have healthy babies but some of them did come early and, of course, there was hospital bedrest. I hope it doesn’t come to that for you but the cerclage should help and, hopefully, you can handle not doing a whole lot for the next few months. It will be worth it!

  30. missohkay January 6, 2012 at 06:08 #

    Psh, you and this baby boy are DRAMA QUEENS. (He should have a purple room.) Can’t just have a normal pregnancy, can we? 😉

    Love you all. Sorry for extra freak outs this will undoubtedly cause, but I know several people who had cerclages (though I don’t know when they were placed) and they had no more funneling issues once that sucker was put in. Congrats! I’m so happy for your little boy, who will stay put until you’re ready for him to come out. Promise.

  31. slcurwin January 6, 2012 at 08:11 #

    What the F, World?!?!?!!? Have you not suffered enough? At least it was found now and will be monitored. That’s the up.

    Sorry to tell you, I’m not going to believe it until I see it. I know too many people who were told the wrong sex at the screening. So we’ll call him Little Sir Shmaby but I’m not getting you anything boy specific until he actually arives (with a penis and all that junk).

  32. Heather January 6, 2012 at 21:38 #

    Congrats on the boy. I know you wanted a girl, and I was kind of getting used to the idea of a girl and now… It’s a boy!!! My cervix is fine but he did say something wasn’t completely right about the placenta. Anyway it didn’t seem to be a big deal (I hope).
    Please look after yourself and take it easy. I am thinking of you and hope that your baby boy stays safe and snug inside.

  33. Alissa January 7, 2012 at 06:44 #

    I am so glad they caught it! Just take it easy and hopefully that little one will stay put. I know another IF’er that had incompetant cervix (with a cerclage) and she just had her son!

    Good luck and think positive.

  34. starfishkittydreams January 7, 2012 at 19:58 #

    A boy! Wow, I am still so amazed about your healthy pregnancy. You’ve come so far!

    But an incompetent cervix, that is some seriously concerning news. I don’t much about how this impacts the pregnancy but you don’t need any more obstacles in your journey and I really hope this is something that can be worked around. You’ve gone through enough. I just hope the best for you and really want this little boy to arrive healthy. HUGS

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Wherein I Use Lots of Track and Field Metaphors « Mommy Odyssey - March 17, 2012

    […] also bluntly honest. When the IC diagnosis happened, he very clearly stated that it could be that we caught it too late, and I have a 15-20% […]

Show some love, comment-style

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: