Why Sticky Beans and Baby Dust are Stoopid

11 Oct

I’ve been meaning to rant about this for a while. I seriously don’t get the whole “sticky bean baby dust” thing.

First – let’s talk about the “sticky bean” issue. In the world of ectopics, not all beans should be sticky. In fact, a “sticky bean” in a tube means you get your tube removed. Plus – those early stage babies aren’t exactly bean-shaped, really. So why did they choose the word “bean” of all things? It could be a raspberry. Or a peanut. Or a lentil. Plus, what the hell is the deal with comparing babies to food? “My baby is the size of an orange! My baby is the size of a strawberry!”. Babies are not edible, people. Comparing them to fruit isn’t “cute”. It’s creepy.

And speaking of creepy – how creepy is the phrase “baby dust?” Seriously – think about it. Dust made of babies. That’s just morbid. Plus, doesn’t dust make things less sticky? Β So it kind of goes against the whole baby dust thing.. I get that it’s a play on “fairy dust” and all that, but once you analyze it, it really is pretty gross.

So please don’t wish me any of those things when I tell you the following news:

Yesterday, I saw a dip in my temps, so I peed on a VW and got a really faint line. So faint, we had to squint to see it. As Shmerson said it was definitely a BFP – a Blurry, Faint Possibility.

Today, at 9DPO, the line was clear as day.

I am officially knocked up.

And the little one is smart. It decided to show itself on the day we officially got the keys and started the renovation on our new place.

I’m cautiously optimistic.

No betas until Sunday because of the holidays over here. But I’m hoping that this early positive, along with the early ovulation, along with the no bleeding and a shit-ton of early symptoms is a good sign. None of the ectopics were like this.

*fingers crossed*

Please stay with me guys – I need you now more than ever.

53 Responses to “Why Sticky Beans and Baby Dust are Stoopid”

1. me0me October 11, 2011 at 17:51 #

I am totally vibing with the good energy this is emanating. Energy, fingers, thoughts and love are going into the very positive hope zone. Good luck babe!!!

2. Belle October 11, 2011 at 17:51 #

Hoooooray! This is excellent news and makes my super grumpy day much less grumpy πŸ™‚

“Blurry, Faint Possibility” is also hilarious, btw.

3. Angela October 11, 2011 at 17:51 #

congrats!!

(oh, and I totally agree about the whole sticky bean/baby dust thing)

4. bodegabliss October 11, 2011 at 17:56 #

It’s SUCH a good sign that you’ve had no bleeding and it’s nothing like the ectopics.

I am over-the-moon excited for you! Love!

5. Rachel @ Eggs In A Row October 11, 2011 at 18:02 #

1. I like this baby already. He/she is like, “Ok. New apartment? Check. Crazy Jewish holiday so you are not able to do what you want to (ie. check betas RIGHT NOW?)? Check. This kid has got attitude!

2. I used to picture baby dust as glitter. And now, ashes. You slay me.

3. JLFK:JDS:LKESJFEWUOTIGHFLKF:MDS There is a baby! In your uterus! OMG!!!!

4. Mazel tov. In case my spastic typing didn’t make that evident.

6. cattiz j October 11, 2011 at 18:03 #

Oh wow, just wow! Congrats, I guess the little one likes your place already, not that it can see it but anyways.. I’m cautiously jealous in a good way πŸ™‚

7. mothernatureschmature October 11, 2011 at 18:09 #

Oh I’m so happy for you!!

8. Whoismom October 11, 2011 at 18:15 #

Mo! I am so excited for you and crossing everything I have. I won’t wish you beans or dust(which just makes me think of Philip Pullman frankly) but I will wish you the best of total health for you and everyone attached to you. Good new beginnings for a new year!

9. JM October 11, 2011 at 18:38 #

I am SOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!

And SOOOO MAD that customs is slow. I really wanted you to be able to pee on a Rolls Royce. Because now I’m hoping that you won’t NEED to pee on another RR until way after they expire.

But holy crap you’re pregnant πŸ™‚ So, so happy. A happy new year, indeed.

10. boncheri05 October 11, 2011 at 18:57 #

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!

SO beyond ecstatic for you Mo!!!!! I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am for you!!!

And…you are officially the FIRST pregnancy announcement that has had absolutely NO twinge of sadness or hurt paired with it…… I have officially let go!! πŸ˜€

So…thank you for helping me confirm that …
    and…..

SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! You’re knocked up you little minx!! πŸ˜› I can’t believe you made me read all that “baby dust…. bean” ranting before saying so!!! πŸ˜‰

And for that….
    May your little bean be sticky and I am sending you tons of baby dust!! ;P
    (Translated — may your miracle embryo stick in all the right places and burrow his/her way down in there for a nice long stay of roughly 40 weeks!!! And I will be stalking your blog and praying profusely for you, Shmerson, and you’re fantastic blessing!!!)

11. MJ October 11, 2011 at 19:06 #

OMG MO!!!! I’m so excited for you!! I know it’s hard, and early, but know that I’m sending you all sorts of good thoughts and prayers. I told Eggs that this would be a good new year for her … it’s going to be for you too! Happy 5772 to you!!!

12. Cookie with Milk October 11, 2011 at 19:37 #

I’m sending you a million positive thoughts and endless virtual bars of chocolate. Milk and I are thinking of you and Shmerson (or, you know, of Shmerson and Shmerson and Shmembryo).

• Rachel @ Eggs In A Row October 11, 2011 at 20:37 #

Thank you! I love Shmembryo!

• Mo October 11, 2011 at 21:08 #

Um, ok, so I’m totally stealing Shmembryo. Best. Nickname. Ever!

13. Elphaba October 11, 2011 at 19:39 #

I’m sending you baby sprinkles and hope that your little mushroom is thriving.

Shmembryo! I love it!

14. Suzanna Catherine October 11, 2011 at 19:49 #

What wonderful news! I’m so happy for you. I’m looking forward to following your journey to motherhood.

Sending you virtual hugs and good thoughts from the southeast coast of Georgia USA.

15. Advo.cat October 11, 2011 at 20:00 #

Dude – that is awesome. I have been getting pummeled by baby annoucements and they generally sting when coming from happy-go-lucky fertile myrtles, but yours brings me pure joy. All appendages crossed and locked for you on this one.

16. Lise October 11, 2011 at 20:33 #

This is awesome new! Congratulations! And I totally agree on the bean/babydust thing…it’s just creepy. I try to talk to my little (hopefully fertilized) egg and tell it to try to make it all the way down to the uterus, NO sticking in my tube this time!

17. teejay October 11, 2011 at 20:59 #

WOW! This is good news! No, this is GREAT news! But I’m with you, cautiously optimistic…but my fingers are crossed that everything is where it should be and that it stays there for the next 8.5 months! Wow…I’m really happy for you and yes this is perfect timing. You know, everyone will tell you that it finally happened because you bought a new place to live. πŸ™‚

18. Mo October 11, 2011 at 21:09 #

Thanks everyone! You are all awesome!

19. robin October 11, 2011 at 21:25 #

Just popped over here because Rachel @ Eggs in a Row was dreaming about you and I wanted to see the stuff dreams are made of (um… sorry… that is way creepy). ANYWAY. YAY!!!!! Very exciting news!!!!!! I’m going to follow you now, looking forward to more good news πŸ™‚

• Rachel @ Eggs In A Row October 11, 2011 at 21:36 #

Stalker!!!! LOL. I love it. Don’t worry, Bodega Bliss dreams about Mo too.

20. Natalie October 11, 2011 at 21:48 #

The awesomist news eva! Congrats! Sticky beans and baby dust? This was the first time I had heard that phrase, but yeah, it’s creepy. no making dust outta babies please.

21. chon October 11, 2011 at 22:16 #

mate your news has made my DAY and you are goooooooooooooooooooood, psychic anyone.

Wishing you all the sticky baby dust in the world ha ha ha ha ha

22. Libby October 11, 2011 at 22:27 #

One of the first companies I ordered pee sticks from enclosed a thong of “baby dust” (i.e. Glitter) in the package. I wanted to email and ask if I was supposed to use it vaginally.

23. Libby October 11, 2011 at 22:28 #

OMG! and congrats!

24. sassyntubeless October 11, 2011 at 22:43 #

yay great news sweetie!! holding up the light at the end of the tunnel i think i see you coming πŸ™‚ hip hip horrah!!! will be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your beta!! xoxxoo lots of love

25. BleedingTulip October 11, 2011 at 23:00 #

Mo – I have loved you for a long time, but I think I now love you even more. I hate it when people say “sticky bean” and baby dust”, and pretty much any saying that positively drips with sappy childishness. Either use the real, medical terms, or at least come up with something CLEVER (and sarcasm always gets extra points in my book)

On that note: I can only imagine the mix of excitement and anxiety you are feeling. (I may have welled up when I read this post… I cannot confirm nor deny such accusations) It is my deepest hope and prayer that this pregnancy goes smoothly for you guys!!! That this little zygote has found the uterus and attached exactly where it should, that it grows within a normal and healthy rate and comes into this world in roughly 9 months as a happy healthy full-term baby.

(I couldn’t think of anything creative so I went with the medical terminology route)

26. Jonelle October 11, 2011 at 23:14 #

I hope everything works out this cycle. I hated it when people would tell me those things too. I had a sticky bean in my tube and well lost the sticky bean along with my tube.

27. Esperanza October 11, 2011 at 23:27 #

WOOT! What amazing news. Keeping all appendages crossed for you. Here’s to a healthy and happy nine months.

Also, how the F did you get a BFP on DPO 9?! Seriously?!

28. slcurwin October 11, 2011 at 23:29 #

You slut! lol. I’m freaking out and excited for you at the same time. I’m just glad that this is not following the old pattern. We’re going to be putting a LOT of hope into this for you.

29. iamstacey October 11, 2011 at 23:39 #

You funny! You made me laugh so I added you to my blogroll.
    And – Congrats!!! πŸ™‚

30. Infertile Days October 11, 2011 at 23:55 #

Congradulations!!!
    Well, now that I know you can get a BFP on day 9, how can I possibly hold out till day 14 next cycle?

31. Jjiraffe October 12, 2011 at 00:18 #

First of all, I read this at the gym on the elliptical and let out a whoop and everyone stared at me. SO. EXCITED I didn’t even care!

You are right: those sayings are wrong-headed. So I’ll just add my sincere wishes for all the best for you, Schmerson and Schemembryo, TM of Cookies and Milk πŸ™‚

• jjiraffe October 12, 2011 at 02:50 #

Sorry for the extra “c”. I blame the euphoria…

32. bloggingreluctantly October 12, 2011 at 00:25 #

I am so happy happy happy for you!!!!!!

33. Betsy October 12, 2011 at 00:25 #

Congrats! I am so thrilled for yall!!! Sending thoughts and prayers that this will be your take home baby!

34. Port of Indecision October 12, 2011 at 01:15 #

OMFG, I love you. I’m so with you on the sticky bean and baby dust shit. Aside from the fact that I could never bring myself to say those things for their absurd cutesy-wutesy qualities, there’s the fact that, yeah, you don’t always want everything to stick. I’ve never had an ectopic, but quite frankly if I got pregnant with another embryo that was lacking enough genetic material to actually make a human being, I’d prefer it not stick, thankyouverymuch. And baby dust is just…fucking weird. What does that MEAN?!

Anyway, fingers crossed for a good outcome for this one! I’ll be waiting with bated breath to hear what happens. (Probably more like Jolly Rancher breath, really, but oh well.)

35. missohkay October 12, 2011 at 03:11 #

I’m with you on the baby dust and the baby-as-fruit-and-vegetable crap. I do wish that people’s babies stick, but I mean stick with you – like survive. Not ruin your lady bits. We’re a morbid bunch, hmm? And Schmembryo is the awesomest name evah… if a little hard to spell/type. Much love to you and Shmerson – I’m super excited and hopeful for you ❀

36. Christina October 12, 2011 at 03:21 #

Yes!! An early BFP seems to be a good omen. I got my 1st line at 9dpo this go round and so far so good here at (gulp) 27w. I was so eagerly awaiting this! I was a bit bummed when I checked this morning before and nothing. And then I saw the title and was even more bummed. Way to completely fool me!! I won’t wish you sticky beanie baby dust – just that this one’s a keeper, and is where it should belong and stays there for about 8-9 more months!

Congrats!

37. Kristen October 12, 2011 at 05:09 #

Oh my God oh my God oh my God I can’t believe it!!!! I am sooooooo incredibly happy for you!!!! (And here are a few more exclamation marks, you know, just to get my excitement across: !!!!!!!!!!)
    So happy for you and hoping for the best. I have SUCH a good feeling about this.
    XOXO

38. Kristin October 12, 2011 at 05:51 #

I am so excited for you and am also laughing my ass off at “blurry, faint, possibility”. Praying hard that this baby is a keeper.

39. Dawn October 12, 2011 at 06:05 #

Fingers are sooooo crossed.

40. Marie October 12, 2011 at 06:22 #

I am officially no longer reading comments on your posts* JUST IN CASE there are references to sticky beans, baby dust, or fruit babies in the comments. I trust YOU. I don’t trust THEM.

Also, I have resolved to be nothing but happy and excited and hopeful for you. I will not let my “sad for me” get in the way, because I love you too much for that, and because I kinda think it wouldn’t anyway, given the circumstances and our friendship. And I won’t feed into your crazy or your paranoia. The bunnies are hereby retiring from their job as psychics, and all that’s left to do is wait and see. Sure, YOU can worry all you want, but I will not be worrying with you. I will be obnoxious and positive all the time, except I won’t use the words “sticky bean baby dust” except ironically. In return for these services, you HAVE to come to my wedding. We will find a way to fundraise if we have to, but “no” is no longer an option for you & Guido. The timing of all this is too perfect.

*Group Therapy Thursday excepted

41. Odyssey to Hope? October 12, 2011 at 09:52 #

MO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on little bubba. Please stay.

42. A. October 12, 2011 at 10:25 #

Congratulations, Mo! Wonderful news! I haven’t been reading or writing much at all lately in blogland, so I am so happy I happened to come by now πŸ™‚ I have a good feeling about this…I just do! Sending you all the good vibes I’ve got for a healthy, successful pregnancy.

43. Artistmouse October 12, 2011 at 13:05 #

JOY!!!!!!

I’ll be praying to my “Flying Spaghetti Monster” that this is the one for you and Schmerson . . . your take home baby.

44. St. Elsewhere October 12, 2011 at 14:23 #

I am there. I am there.

I have been a bad commenter on your previous posts, but I am there.

Congratulations.

And many many many great milestones to come for the baby and you. That’s my wish, lady!

45. Angela October 12, 2011 at 14:35 #

Hey, I’m trying to keep it a lil separate from my other blog for anonymity purposes, but I finally decided there was just too much in my head, as pertains to infertility, to not spit it out. Youre one of my favorite (post, yay!!!) IF bloggers tho, and I wanted to share.

46. K October 12, 2011 at 17:15 #

I am so, so happy and hopeful for you πŸ™‚

And yes, baby dust and baby food comparisons are pretty stupid and quite childish. However, I believe in the spirit of them so I will just say i’m still rooting for you and i’m so looking forward to reading about this baby for a long time to come! Many hugs πŸ™‚

47. Erin October 12, 2011 at 23:39 #

Yay!!! I am rooting for you!

48. Meg October 13, 2011 at 02:14 #

I have every appendage that’s cross-able crossed. Positive thoughts sent your way. Yay!

49. Ari October 15, 2011 at 06:20 #

So so thrilled for you!!! Congrats!!