Bullets and Bunnies: Happy Birthday to Me!

25 Sep
  • I turned 31 today! I was kind of dreading this birthday to be honest. This time last year I was pregnant, and I thought that I would most likely end up spending most of today crying. Funny enough, not a tear was shed.
  • Last night was AWESOME! Seriously. It was just a small group of us out at a restaurant, but it was exactly the kind of celebration I needed. Plus, there was MEAT!!!
  • I got drunk for the first time in 6 months last night (yay new happy pills!). I’m a total lightweight. 2 glasses of Cava and two Fijling chasers and I was a goner. It made for some pretty amusing moments. I decided that the invention of those eco hand dryers is all a big conspiracy to put the paper towel manufacturers out of business. I also announced out loud to the entire group that I personally found it very lame of me that it had been six months since my last drink, yet only 4 months since my last miscarriage. I thought that was hilarious. Actually, I still kind of do. And no, I’m not drunk. I swear!
  • People have spent the last twenty four hours wishing me health, happiness, and *insert something here that hints at a baby without actually saying the word “baby” or the word “pregnancy”, but hoping I know what they mean*. Seriously. Everyone. Even Shmerson during his toast said “extra health”, not “baby”. Since I was two sheets to the wind at that point I just yelled out “and a baby!!!!!” Of course, he later rectified this omission with his amazing post from last night. How lucky am I? Seriously.
  • The only person (except Shmerson) who wished me a baby this year is also the person that made me cry today. My cousin, who is about 10 years older than me has this absolutely AMAZING daughter, who recently turned 18. I love this kid. She’s talented, she’s smart, she’s funny, and she reminds me a lot of myself, only with way more wisdom than I had at her age. She called me about 30 minutes ago to wish me a happy birthday. She told me how much she loved me, and how I felt more like a big sister to her than anything else. Then she wished me a baby. Flat out. “You want a baby, I want you to get your wish this year.” This is what I love about kids (I know, she’s 18, but she’s still a kid to me). They have no tact sometimes. No sense of taboo. That’s exactly what I needed to hear. And I love her so much for saying it out loud.
  • Things that have made me feel old: Ok. I know I’m ONLY 31 or whatever, but teaching this week has totally made me feel like an adult. Today was my birthday and I had to give my 11th grade girls a test. On my birthday. They did sing “Happy Birthday” to me before the test. But I just sat there, thinking “holy crap it’s my birthday and I’m giving a test.” One of the girls asked me how old I was. I told her. Then she asked me if I was married. I said yes. She asked me if I had kids. I said no. She said “My sister is 31 and she has four kids”. Remember what I said regarding tact and young people in my previous bullet point? I temporarily scratch that to punch that girl. But only in my imagination. In the moment, I smiled and said “We’re working on it.”
  • Last week I was walking home from teaching my 10th graders. Two of my students were sitting at a bus stop giggling. And looking at me. Then I realized they were embarrassed because they were seeing a teacher outside of school. Then I realized I was that teacher. *sigh* I just wish I could shake them and say “Hey! I’m just as young and awesome as you!” I remember how OLD my teachers looked to me when I was 16. Do I really look like that to them? That’s a scary proposition.
  • That doesn’t mean I don’t love teaching. I truly, truly do. I’m enjoying every minute.
  • I can’t help but compare this year to last. I have to say, I may be one year and two miscarriages older, but I definitely think I’m happier now. A lot of it is thanks to this blog and all of you guys. I love you all. Seriously. (Still not drunk!)
  • I leave you with a video that AK posted on my FB wall in honor of my birthday. My friends are awesome. Seriously.
Here’s hoping 31 sucks much less than 30.
Here’s hoping it’s actually a good one!

19 Responses to “Bullets and Bunnies: Happy Birthday to Me!”

1. Betsy September 25, 2011 at 23:17 #

I hope 31 is the best year ever for you!

2. missohkay September 25, 2011 at 23:33 #

Glad you had a happy birthday! And I wish you a baby too!

3. babycrazykiwi September 26, 2011 at 02:03 #

Happy Birthday!!!

Wishing you a baby and all things nice and lovely for the year to come!

4. Frankie September 26, 2011 at 03:18 #

Hello from my first ICLW! Our stories have some eerie simialrities…I also am minus my left tube…is there a club for us out there? I am wishing you a sweet New Year and hoping that the next year brings you much happiness! xoxo

5. Kristin September 26, 2011 at 04:18 #

Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe
    Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe
    Hippo Birdie Deer Mo
    Hippo Birdie 2 Ewe

I wish you laughter, love, happiness, and a take home baby.

Much love my friend.

6. Esperanza September 26, 2011 at 05:50 #

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! I’m so glad you had such a great night.

I’m hoping you get a baby this year too, by the way (sorry if that is taboo 🙂

7. shmerson September 26, 2011 at 07:55 #

What my dear wife forgot to mention was the fact that I baked awesome brownies for her 🙂

8. Cattiz J September 26, 2011 at 10:02 #

Cheers for a much better, happier year ahead =)

9. St. Elsewhere September 26, 2011 at 14:03 #

Oh come on, eventually, you will get to 30 after 29….;-)

Happy Birthday!

May your wishes come true! Yep, and may this year not have the heartache of the previous years.

10. Belle September 26, 2011 at 15:04 #

Happy Birthday to one of the BEST IF bloggers around! I hope this year brings you all kinds of adventures, good eats, hugs and, of course, your own snugly baby. Cheers!

11. BleedingTulip September 26, 2011 at 18:43 #

I know it’s belated, but HAPPY BIRFDAY!!!!

12. bodegabliss September 26, 2011 at 20:39 #

It may appear belated since it will say that I’m writing this on the 26th (which clearly I am), but I was on time in real life, so it’s okay I’m writing this a day late on your blog….so without further ado: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and hope for nothing but happiness and love for you in year 31.

xoxox

13. Kristen September 26, 2011 at 21:31 #

Happy happy happy birthday! I wish for a baby for you this year (and much other happiness all around)! 🙂
    XOXO

14. Liv September 26, 2011 at 22:36 #

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful year and many more wonderful years to come!

15. Mo September 28, 2011 at 00:10 #

thanks everyone!

16. Port of Indecision September 28, 2011 at 02:49 #

Happy birthday!!!! I’m glad you had a fun one.

17. teejay September 28, 2011 at 21:33 #

I’m a bad bloggy buddy…I missed your birthday and I’m so sorry. I definitely think that this upcoming year is going to yield great things for you…see, I did it, too. 🙂 It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday and why shouldn’t you? You deserve it…and many more happy things, too. There, I did it again.

18. sassyntubeless September 30, 2011 at 00:26 #

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! so sorry I didn’t get a chance to wish you a great day on sunday 😦 Sounds like you had a fabulous day!!! xoxxoxo lots of love, laughter and smiles

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 33. | Mommy Odyssey - September 26, 2013

[…] This was 31 (about to get pregnant with Nadav, thinking the worst was behind me). […]