Very Superstitious….

25 Jun

Ok – so Operation Ole’ Lefty  has hit a bump in the road, because the last OPK in the house was faulty, and it’s Friday night, and no pharmacies will be open until tomorrow. I think I may have seen a trace of EWCM this morning but I have no idea if Little Lefty has popped or not, which is of course contributing to my crazy. Good stuff all around.

I met PM tonight – who is herself about to pop in a different way, she’s due next week! – and she was telling me about how she’s not bringing any baby stuff into the house until the little one comes out healthy. I totally get it, and it got me thinking about the weird little superstitions and crap I’ve been trying to hang my hat on for the last couple of weeks. It’s amazing what Infertility can do to an atheist, seriously.

So – since I’m on a bit of a roll with the list-making – here are the crazy things I’ve been latching onto in an attempt to convince myself that I will be knocked up this month and the little one will nestle itself in the correct spot. Yay lists!

1. My mother is convinced that once we move into a decent apartment, I’ll finally have a healthy pregnancy. We’ve actually found a place and we’re hopefully closing the deal on Monday (more on that soon!). I’m trying to go along with that theory.
  2. There have been a lot of butterflies around me lately. I keep on noticing them. For some reason I’ve fixated on that.
  3. The baby psychic said we would find out about a girl in July. Yes, I’m resorting to baby psychics again. You’d think I’d learned my lesson by now.
  4. If I get preggo now, it means an april baby. 4 is my lucky number. (I know – I’m totally stretching here)
  5. it means I would hit the second trimester on my birthday. That would be an awesome birthday present.
Ok that’s basically it. I’m grasping at straws, I know. Desperate times… I’m still hoping I’ll be able to feel it if it happens, like I have before, but who knows.
Anybody else find themselves grasping at straws and stupid superstitions to get your hope going? Share in the comments!

21 Responses to “Very Superstitious….”

1. chon June 25, 2011 at 03:16 #

I am liking the list. You know the baby psychic is onto something though. she predicted a feb birth month for me and if it hadn’t of m/c then she would have been totally right! Question: does the apartment have a bath? Hopefully leftie popped when shmerson was home. fingers crossed 🙂

• Mo June 25, 2011 at 03:32 #

Thanks hon. And yes – the apt. has a bathtub! Not nearly as awesome as yours though. We’ll have to do something about that once we can afford it! 🙂

2. BleedingTulip June 25, 2011 at 03:23 #

I keep telling myself that once we move to Washington, and I’m no longer living in a stressful roommate situation, and living close to family, friends and ocean, that I will suddenly get pregnant (and stay pregnant)

Logically I know it’s crap, but it’s what keeps me going!

3. BleedingTulip June 25, 2011 at 03:24 #

Oh, and I don’t buy baby stuff. That just seems like jinxing it.

• Mo June 25, 2011 at 18:12 #

I know, right? I don’t even walk into baby stores. Or down baby aisles. It’s sad.

4. babycrazykiwi June 25, 2011 at 05:11 #

My thing was that June was my lucky month…because my Mum and I are both March babies and if I were pregnant I’d be due bang smack in the middle of March. I’m holding on to that hope until proven otherwise (much to my detriment I suppose). I’ve accumulated a few baby things…if people offer me little things I take them…its my way of keeping the hope alive.
    I hope this is your month and the baby physic is right!

• Mo June 25, 2011 at 18:11 #

Thanks!

5. hopeauthority June 25, 2011 at 05:48 #

OMG I just posted about baby psychic visit this week too. I’m Tracey from thefertilitydaily ICLW #118. Good luck! And if you think you may need IVF, my RE is holding a contest thru sunday with lots of prizes including a free micro-ivf cycle, so come by.

6. jjiraffe June 25, 2011 at 08:37 #

I was convinced our house was bad luck when I was going through all the infertility treatments. Crows used to camp out in our backyard and stare at me, defiantly. It gave me the creeps. We moved, and six months later I got pregnant.

Just sayin’.

• Mo June 25, 2011 at 18:12 #

LOL! Well I don’t think we have any crows around here… Probably a good sign.

7. Cattiz J June 25, 2011 at 13:26 #

Oh, the never ending hope. That’s what keeps us going right. How exciting with a new apartment =)

8. Mrs. Brightside June 25, 2011 at 15:42 #

I still haven’t legally changed my last name to my husbands, so sometimes I think that maybe if I had done that, I wouldn’t keep losing these pregancies. Like somehow the embryo is rejecting the future birth certificate with two last names on it and potentially mistaken bastard status. I know, totally logical.

• Mo June 25, 2011 at 18:13 #

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I changed my last name a month after we got married and it didn’t make much of a difference… 😛

9. starfishkittydreams June 25, 2011 at 18:58 #

I totally get the superstitions. I tend to feel the moment I get any confidence I’ve jinxed my chances, so I also stay away from baby stores or even using the expression “when” about having kids, as if it makes any difference.

Another one was that I was convinced you had to be unemployed to get pregnant. That happened to me with the first two pregnancies. I’ve since broken that one, but it does seem like once you have things lined up and “ready” that these surprises come up.

A better apartment sounds like a step up either way, but I’d be too superstitious to designate a “baby room” in it.

• Mo June 26, 2011 at 01:06 #

I know! The problem is it’s a three bedroom. The “baby room” is implied. Definitely jinxing it. Urgh.

10. eggsinarow June 26, 2011 at 00:58 #

Wait, which of these are desparate? I too am an Aries (April) baby, so I will GLADLY give up anything for my birthday for you to have a baby. If it means I have to wait another year for the hubby to buy me a Lexus for the birthday (hahahaha) I will do so. No problem. I am a full believer in signs…so if that’s what it takes for you to feel a little bit more confident, go for it! 🙂

• Mo June 26, 2011 at 01:07 #

Awww thanks! You’re making me blush. 🙂

11. Mrs. E June 26, 2011 at 01:00 #

Hi from ICLW! I love this post because I can totally relate. I was just writing out my TTC Journey for ICLW and I realized that something big has happened every July since 2007. (We got engaged! We got married! etc. etc.) So now I’m convinced (hoping) that July 2011 will be…We got pregnant! I admit that IF makes me crazy… Good luck this cycle =)

• Mo June 26, 2011 at 01:07 #

Ohhh! Yay July! hopefully it’ll be lucky for both of us!

12. Kristin June 26, 2011 at 08:13 #

OMG yes, back when we were truly in the throes of infertility I got sucked into all kinds of crazy superstitions.

I am really hoping old Lefty cooperated this month.

13. Libby June 27, 2011 at 04:51 #

Hold on to anything you can. And I think your Mom could be on to something with the apartment. Toxins and mold can be big problems that you may be moving away from.