Go Follie Go?

15 Jun

Well – this was unexpected.

We just got back from our appointment with Twofer. He looked at the film and said “Well – this is the worst case scenario”.

I was confused. “Why?”

Well – because there is no black and white in our situation. It’s a completely gray area. It turns out that my right tube is only PARTIALLY blocked, and everything else is fine. According to Twofer, if the right tube was fully blocked, then they would just remove it and we’d keep trying naturally. Because the left tube is completely clear, and we’re still young, there’s no point in IVF (we’d still be at risk for an ectopic on the left side and it’s too invasive for our situation).

Which left us with two options:

1) I go in for a surgery to block my right tube completely and then we continue to try naturally with the tube blocked, relying fully on Ole Lefty.

2) We monitor ovulation and only try on months when I’m ovulating on my left side, and cross our fingers that the egg doesn’t decide to wander into the right tube.

I pretty much knew what I wanted to do as soon as he laid down the options. But I asked him what he thought. He said that he hates invasive procedures as a rule, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster (ok – he actually said God) owes us one, so he thinks it’s better that we go for option two and pray.

I knew I wanted option two as well – sans the praying since that’s not my bag (though anyone out there who feels it is their bag is welcome to pray for me).

Here’s my logic: I despise general anesthesia (it scares the frakety frak out of me), and surgery is what brought me to this place to begin with (seeing as the pervasive theory is that the D&C is what caused the blockage to begin with).

When I hopped on the table and the U/S revealed that the dominant follicle is currently on the left side, my mind was fully made up.

Plug my nose, jump in feet first and hope for the best.

At least this time, if I get a BFP we’ll know immediately to monitor betas and make sure we’ve got a sac in the right place. If the embryo decides to jump ship to Righty and burrow in – then I’ll deal with surgery and we’ll go again.

The question is – do I have another miscarriage in me? Am I ready to take the emotional risk?

I wish I knew a complete answer to that. All I have right now is my instinct, and so far – through this whole ordeal my instinct has always been right.

And my instinct says to trust that little follie growing over Lefty, and hope he or she finds their way. I wish they made microscopic road maps. Or microscopic flashing neon signs with arrows pointing to the left tube and then the uterus.

So I’ll be back to Twofer’s on Monday to confirm that the little follie hanging out over Lefty is the one that’s gonna pop, and then we BD like there’s no tomorrow and hope for the best.

Go Follie Go!

So – what do you guys think? Am I making the right call? Anyone know of any success stories using this method? Would love to hear some feedback.

22 Responses to “Go Follie Go?”

1. Christa June 15, 2011 at 19:22 #

I have experience with this exact scenario. I found out I had at least a partially blocked right tube after an ectopic pregnancy where I had surgery and they saved the tube so we monitored and only did the deed (iui for me) when there were follicles on the left. I ended up getting pregnant on a cancelled month (my husband has a utricle cyst that would sometimes obstruct things, resulting in a sudden count drop…we got cancelled because his sample had zero sperm). It turned out to be ectopic on the right tube ( yes the right tube stole the egg) and I ended up with emergency surgery to remove the pregnancy and the tube. The next month of trying (about 6 weeks after surgery), I got pregnant and am now 33.5 weeks along with a little boy. My advice is go with number 2, but if you have another problem, remove that tube.

• Mo June 16, 2011 at 02:38 #

Hey Christa, thanks for sharing your story! It’s not a perfect outcome, but, actually – you know what it’s a darn good one. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how you can ovulate on the left and it go through the right tube. Anyone have some knowledge to drop on that? It seems a bit far fetched, doesn’t it?

2. Bear June 15, 2011 at 19:36 #

Sounds like a plan to me! I HATE surgery and I HATE being put to sleep. If there is any way to avoid it I would. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

3. slcurwin June 15, 2011 at 19:59 #

Any unneccessary surgery is a big bad in my books. Only go there if you have to. I’d say follow your gut, you do what you need to do, and take what comes. Let’s just hope that what comes is screaming and kicking (and has that new baby smell). 😉

4. Kristin June 15, 2011 at 20:41 #

If I were in your shoes, that’s the call I’d make. Good luck hon and I’m praying for you.

5. Artistmouse June 15, 2011 at 20:53 #

I think I would have made the same decision, Mo. Good luck, and I have tons of prayers to go around!

6. missohkay June 15, 2011 at 21:20 #

Sounds like the plan I’d prefer if I were in your shoes. I will make an appointment with the Flying Spaghetti Monster to discuss you 🙂 I only discuss other people with Him lately. When I get around to me, I apologize for being pissed off at Him and leave it at that. Hmm, I think I have a blog post brewing there.

• Mo June 16, 2011 at 02:38 #

I want to see that blog post!

7. Flowergirl June 15, 2011 at 21:23 #

Personally, that is the option that I would go for, although i haven’t fully been in your shoes. wishing you all the luck with the making like rabbits.

8. babycrazykiwi June 15, 2011 at 21:57 #

Definately would have made the same decision.
    Do you have another miscarriage in you? I can’t answer that but what I can ask you is do you feel better about having answers, a plan and a direction? Having an idea of whats going on and where you’re headed must be so empowering.
    I wish you all the best and hope that this time round is your lucky time!

9. A. June 15, 2011 at 22:12 #

I think you are making the right decision…going with your gut is never overrated in my opinion. Good luck!!! I have a good feeling about this cycle for you!

10. Elphaba June 15, 2011 at 22:54 #

Sounds like a good plan to me as well. And can you handle another miscarriage? Well, if it were me I wouldn’t even think of this as a normal “trying to get pregnant” moment yet. This is almost like undergoing an actual procedure. You’re going to try this out and see if it works and if it doesn’t, it’s not another miscarriage, it’s just a failed procedure. Time to try something else.

Right? Does that work? Maybe?

• Mo June 16, 2011 at 02:38 #

Actually it might. The question is can I fool my brain into thinking of it that way. Hmmmm

11. Christina June 16, 2011 at 00:47 #

Ain’t no time like the present to get started, right? I definitely think you should follow your instincts/gut feeling.

As for the “strength for another m/c” that is entirely up to you. I do think that you are a strong, vivacious woman and if push came to shove, you’d shove back harder.

• Mo June 16, 2011 at 02:39 #

That’s like the best sentence ever. Thank you Christina. *hugs*

12. chon June 16, 2011 at 01:32 #

Good luck with whatever you decide. I like the idea of waiting to see when you ovulate on your left and then trying. I didn’t realise that ectopics were generally the result of blocked tubes, but it makes perfect sense. I know it is hard not to but try not to think about any m/c – just good things.

13. Odyssey to Hope? June 16, 2011 at 02:29 #

“RIGHT,Follie. Hear this. You know what we need to do, you do not under any circumstances head over to the right field. You are to stick to the left of the feild ONLY! You hear me? Right, lets get out there and make a baby!!! Go son!”

14. Mo June 16, 2011 at 02:41 #

Thanks everybody! I really don’t see any way around giving this a shot. It’s the idea of the right tube taking the egg from the left that I find kind of baffling. And Dr. Google has been no help at all in fishing out a success story. Urgh.
    But hey – I guess I could be one. Or something. *crossing fingers*

15. Port of Indecision June 16, 2011 at 04:17 #

Tardy to the party but I agree with giving it a shot. Hopefully that egg will boogie its way on down the left tube. As far as whether or not you have the ability to get through another miscarriage, if that were to happen, you do. You may not think so, but you do. You may fall down on the floor, knock out a tooth, and writhe around in your drool for awhile, but you’ll eventually get back up. Trust me, you will. Because you don’t have any other option, really. But I’ll be sending some mad sauce up to the Spaghetti Monster that you don’t have to deal with that again.

16. Marie June 16, 2011 at 08:05 #

I like your plan. I will pray inasmuch as I ever do (which is not a lot, but every once in a while it sneaks in), and if it goes wrong… Then you will come to America and we will Disneyland the sad right out of you. Deal?

17. eggsinarow June 16, 2011 at 19:17 #

I wish I had any knowledge on this…I don’t. (Except, of course, of the stabbing pains…I know those well!) I do believe in women’s intuition, though. So I say follow your heart. And also, remember that there are tons of women in Me’ah Sharim who wouldn’t even notice if you took one of their 19 children, so there is always plan B. xoxoo

18. Christa June 17, 2011 at 02:34 #

My doctor explained to mr that things are at lot closer together than they appear on the anatomy drawings and both ovaries (and thus tubes) can be close together as well. I believe Ms. Misfit has had a similar thing happen. I have to admit that I was pretty pissed when it happened to me. If only our bodies would listen to our brains.