The Results Are In – Time For An Info Dump!

14 Jun

Man – I look back at my posts from the last couple of weeks and they’re heavy! I’m starting to realize just how down and out I was. It feels like such a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders – I can’t even begin to describe it.

Official results are in. My uterus is immaculate. Left tube is clear, Right tube is completely blocked. I emailed Twofer with the results and he replied – “well, we thought it was something like that. ”

Indeed, we did.

I have to say the one thing I’m most in awe of is that I KNEW IT. Anyone who’s been reading this blog for an extended period of time knows that I’ve had this stabbing pain in my right side for AGES, and just ignored it because stupid Dr. Blunt had said it was probably “nothing”. (So’s your package, asshole. ehem. sorry.).

AAAAANYWAY

So Wed evening we go to Twofer to figure out what’s next. And guess what? It’s time for you guys to chime in again!

A few facts to remember:

IVF here is free

So’s everything else fertility related.

Universal healthcare and Lawmaking Jews believing fully in the whole “be fruitful and multiply thing” = grateful me.

Soooo – what should I be asking for? I’ve heard there’s a procedure to block both tubes before IVF. Do you guys think that’s necessary? Anyone gone down that route? Does it make sense to attempt clearing the tube and trying again naturally? Or should I just yield to IVF?

I think my big thing right now is i can’t handle another loss. I seriously can’t. I want to go the most secure route possible, but also, if possible, the least invasive (me and general anesthesia aren’t friends).

sooo –

thoughts? suggestions? what questions should I be asking?

Fire away!

Oh – and now that the weight of an oversized elephant has been lifted off my shoulders I promise to be a bit more entertaining.

A pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel on his penis. The bartender asks – hey, why is there a steering wheel on your penis? the pirate says “Arrrrgh! It’s driving me nuts!”

Yes dear readers, I am stooping to bad dirty jokes to entertain you. Perhaps I should quit while I’m ahead. (well, not so much ahead after that joke).

So – blocked right tube. Next steps. Fire away!

17 Responses to “The Results Are In – Time For An Info Dump!”

1. Libby June 14, 2011 at 03:32 #

I wouldn’t block it just because I wouldn’t mess with what’s working. I would go ahead with IVF, but also, if you are really sick of this roller coaster (like I was), start looking at adoption. It’s not a dirty word.

Oh, and stop kicking my ass at WWF.

• Julia June 14, 2011 at 05:40 #

Ask about Laproscopic surgery. They might be able to clear it that way, or at least know what’s up.

Seems weird that they block the tubes? Can they undo that?

• Mo June 14, 2011 at 09:48 #

I don’t think they can. That’s why I’m wary. hmmm…

• Mo June 14, 2011 at 09:48 #

I totally agree it’s not a dirty word. Only problem is: Adoption here is expensive whereas IVF is free. We’ll see…

2. chon June 14, 2011 at 04:10 #

Firstly, looks like you have a new neighbour Hello Israel!! ha ha. Secondly I haven’t heard of blocking the other tube but given your history it does make sense. But like Libby I wouldn’t want to volunteer to end something that is healthy and technically if they place the emby in the right spot it shouldn’t lead to ectopic. I think ultimately you need to do what makes you happy. I have no problems with IVF I know that you still need to bake the baby it doesn’t guarantee you success so if it works, it works and that is the best thing it doesn’t matter if it was created in a little petri dish!! OMG I can’t believe FREE IVF. I am also changing religions, ok stop being an atheist and hopefully get on board the free IVF. Is that a bad thing 😉

• Mo June 14, 2011 at 09:50 #

nah – I’ve already offered up my couch here for fellow infertiles. 🙂

3. BleedingTulip June 14, 2011 at 08:38 #

What does it say about me that I actually did emit a little chuckle upon reading that joke? I’m trying to think or a time when I can tell it… although I suck at telling jokes so I probably shouldn’t.

I haven’t heard of anyone blocking their tubes in preparation for IVF. And while the blogs I have read describe harvesting eggs as being in some kind of sedation, I do not think they are completely anesthetized.

I wish I had some good advice, but husband and I decided a long time ago that IVF was not an option for us so I haven’t put much thought into it. I do know that things you have to consider is what to do with the extra embryos which an emotional and controversial topic I know… although I do read a blog that is pursuing emryo adoption which I find so amazing, to think of one family that has struggled with IF being able to have a child and help another family that has struggled with IF… seems very symbolic to me. But there are other options, such as saving them for future kids/sibling and whatnot, and not saving them at all…. all issues you and Schmerson have to decide together.

It is so wonderful to read a post where your relief and joy and hope are so evident. 🙂

4. Fucking Infertility June 14, 2011 at 11:03 #

When the doctors thought I had only one problem tube, they had me come in every month around ovulation and check which side the follicle was developing on. Then if it was the clear side, we were good to go. Turned out neither tube worked anyway, but this is one approach if you think the clear one is functioning (like you never an ectopic on that side).

Otherwise I’d go right to IVF. Prior to IVF I asked the doctor what to do about my tubes. They seem like a huge risk since they are wide open but non-functioning – so embryos have room to wander in all they want but not get back out. She said she didn’t recommend doing anything about them. I guess the procedure they would have used to remove or block them has a possible side effect of reducing blood flow to the ovaries – which would be bad. So, we didn’t do anything about the tubes.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• flowergi June 14, 2011 at 13:53 #

Was going to post along what FI said – a scan early in the cycle will determine which ovary is developing the egg and therefore whether to go for it that month, however, I think whilst things are supposed to alternate, they might not so I think you would need scans every month – so you could do that for a while if you wish.

with regard to IVF, never heard of the blocking process – I’ve had two rounds, and slept through it all (lovely sedation, mmm). I’m not sure how they get the eggs out to be honest (apart from poking around up there a bit). But I do know that it is unlikely (but not guranteed) that given the embryo is put back in the womb, it shouldn’t go on a journey to your tubes.

• Mo June 15, 2011 at 10:58 #

Thanks ladies this was really helpful!

5. Christina June 14, 2011 at 14:38 #

I would imagine your options would be 1) IVF – completely bypass the tubes, 2) monitor ovulation/tube side – no complete guarantee that one egg won’t jump tubes though, 3) laproscopy surgery to unblock the right tube – highly invasive and may or may not fix the problem of fertilized eggs sticking around in the tube.

These are tough choices and it really depends on how invasive you want to go and how drastic treatment you want to under-take. I’m sure Dr Twofer will be able to help guide you to a good choice for ya’ll specific situation.

6. Cattiz J June 14, 2011 at 19:27 #

First of all, I’m so sorry the HSG hurt so much. Glad though that you are on your way to find new paths and got some answers. I’d say talk to the doctors and see what they suggest. Ask as much as you can while there and keep your mind open. I can’t believe IVF is free where you live, that’s amazing. It’s a tough process but totally worth it.

Good to see you put a joke in =)

7. Dawn June 14, 2011 at 21:31 #

I’m feeling very optimistic here. 🙂

8. Kristen June 15, 2011 at 03:12 #

Don’t have any advice for you but so glad such a weight has been lifted. And thanks for the joke…made me laugh…and I’m supposed to bring a joke to a group campout I’m going to this weekend and I’m going to bring yours. 🙂
    xo
    PS. Still thinking about your post the other day about getting through this whole process intact…thanks so much for what you’re putting out into the world with this blog. 🙂

9. Port of Indecision June 15, 2011 at 05:55 #

I would definitely not have surgery to attempt to open it up. From what I understand, the surgery has a fairly lo success rate anyway (it can just close back up with scar tissue), and if you think you’ll eventually do IVF regardless, it’s just an unnecessary surgery.

I don’t know what you’re talking about with surgery to block both tubes. Why? Would it preclude another ectopic?

Honestly, if IVF gives you the greatest chances of this working, and especially given that it’s free, I say just go for it.

10. Mo June 15, 2011 at 10:59 #

Thanks everyone! You definitely gave me a lot to think about! I feel like I’ll be going to Twofer today way more informed. Of course, i’ll update you guys!

11. starfishkittydreams June 16, 2011 at 20:41 #

I don’t have advice on the topic, but it sounds like you are getting some good information. Thank you for slipping in the awesome joke! I got a laugh out of it and am looking forward to testing it out with friends later.