Revenge of the Preggo Blogging Meme

14 May

I’ve been stopping and starting deep emotional blog posts for the last 24 hours. But I’m not there yet. Today, I’m just annoyed. This post is gonna make me look like a bitter infertile, and I don’t care, because, well, this has to be done.

There’s this blogging meme going around, a preggo questionnaire.

I have about 50 IF bloggers on my google reader, and a few of those are newly preggo IFers. They used to be eloquent, funny, emotional bloggers.

Now that they’re knocked up, they’ve decided to become smug preggos and just plain lazy.

Seriously, there are a couple of bloggers who just post this questionnaire once a week and that’s it. Blogging done! “Look at me! I’m happy and pregnant!”

No – you’re smug and obnoxious. I’m sorry. But you are. Look, I’m really happy for you. Really. But have you forgotten that your blog is read by infertiles? That that’s where you yourself started? I get it, the questionnaire is cute and all, but it just reeks of smugness. And did I mention it’s just plain lazy blogging (yeah I did. But it’s worth mentioning again)?

I’m getting to the point that from now on, if you’re a newly preggo infertile and post this thing, I will unceremoniously remove you from my reader. I don’t care if we’re blogging buddies. I don’t care if I used to comment on your every post. I will be breaking up with your blog. Go stand in the corner with the easily preggo fertiles. Cause you’re acting like one, and really, I thought you were better than that. You disappoint me.

And now, you leave me no choice but to post the meme myself. Because this is the only way I can make you feel guilty enough about it to freakin’ stop. No offense, but to paraphrase an old saying: “If you don’t have anything interesting to blog, don’t blog anything at all.”

My reader is clogged up with smug. Please make it stop. I am taking a stand! Bring on the meme!

Week 50- Weekly Update

(why 50 you ask? That’s how long it’s been since my first BFP)

How far along: Well, it depends on which pregnancy. My first would be two months old about now. My second is due in two weeks. I’d be 8 weeks preggo with my third. So let’s just call this one a bust, shall we?
Size of baby: It’s a peanut! No! It’s a blueberry! No! It’s an orange! No! It’s a garbage can full of extra thick sanitary pads!
Maternity clothes?I wish. Then I’d have an excuse for the latest early pregnancy two pounds I gained. Now I just look a bit fatter than usual and with nothing to show for it.
Sleep?Not that much, since I’m waiting to see what instruments are going to be stuck up my uterus in the coming weeks.

Best moment of the week: The one day when I went into my google reader and didn’t see a single post with this ridiculous meme.

Movement: I’ve been told to start doing half hour walks to both relieve my anxiety and prep my body to actually hold a pregnancy to term. Does that count?

Symptoms: Well, I’ve got this recurrent stabbing pain in my right side, which is a constant reminder that there may be something wrong with my tubes. Other than that, it’s a sore throat and stuffy nose… Oh, right, sorry, those last two are symptoms of my COLD, not a pregnancy. Oh wait, I’m not pregnant! So I guess it’s all good.

Food cravings/aversions:I’ve been told to move to a low sugar diet to help ensure a baby sticks around next time. And I really want a hot chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream to comfort me while I feel endless grief and frustration. Ahh well, too bad for me!
Gender:Up until a few months ago, I would have said I wish it would be a girl. Now I don’t give a crap. Just give me a baby.
Belly button in or out:In – and will most likely remain that way for the unforeseeable future.
Stretch marks: Oh! Yeah! A bunch! But they’re mostly non-pregnancy related.
What I miss: Morning sickness. I loved living off of crackers and knowing that this meant that I had a baby growing inside of me.
How is Mommy Feeling? Bitter. Haven’t you noticed?
How is Daddy Feeling?  Depressed and nihilistic. Check out his blog post from a couple of days back.
Total weight gain? About 15 pounds during the last three pregnancies. Mostly due to numbing my feelings with carbs.

What I am looking forward to: A day when this blogging meme gets wiped off the face of the earth.

Message sent. Hopefully it will be received.

36 Responses to “Revenge of the Preggo Blogging Meme”

1. C May 14, 2011 at 19:58 #

Hahahaahahahahaha. I love this. I too hate it when bloggers go from interesting and thoughtful to a list of symptoms. So being 38 weeks pregnant makes your back hurt? Gee, go fucking figure.

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 00:42 #

Exactly! I mean, I’m happy for them an everything. But just listing your symptoms once a week in the form of a meme? Urgh.

2. Hemlock May 14, 2011 at 21:13 #

LOVED the post. Whether it was intended to make me laugh or not, it ended up that way. I really needed that, thank you 🙂

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 00:43 #

You’re welcome. 🙂

3. Shadow of My Former Self May 14, 2011 at 21:14 #

Huzzah! I’ve noticed this trend as well. It’s the complaints that really bother me. I’d just about set my hair on fire to have my pregnancy back. I try to understand the other side of the fence but the formulaic FB style posts really irk me.

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 00:44 #

Exactly! It’s not that I’m against the pregnancy, I’m just against the symptom complaints and unoriginal framing of things.

4. Christina May 14, 2011 at 21:58 #

I haven’t seen this meme (yet). I don’t really like these things regardless of the topic.

5. zygotta May 14, 2011 at 23:05 #

i get annoyed with tests, questionnaires, horoscopes… they’re just stupid – in my view – regardless of being smug and pregnant
    if you want to give a complete account of what’s happening in your pregnancy – write your own post with what really is on your mind!

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 00:44 #

EXACTLY!!!

6. Kristen May 14, 2011 at 23:13 #

I hate these things…my eyes start glazing over…
    I promise never to do this. 🙂
    xo

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 00:44 #

Thank you. That is very much appreciated. 🙂

7. Esperanza May 15, 2011 at 00:56 #

I LOVE this post. Love it! I have to say, I’ve rarely been so proud of myself as I was when I read this and remembered that I NEVER used this once when I was pregnant. Not once. I think you’re right to hate it. it was invented by fertiles and is inherently smug. Will many of the women you know posting it be reading this? I wonder what they’ll think…

• Mo May 15, 2011 at 01:33 #

“it was invented by fertiles and is inherently smug” I couldn’t have said it better myself! I actually did receive a politely phrased and tactful bitch slap from one of my regular readers who posted the meme a few days back. I emailed her explaining that it wasn’t an attack on her happy pregnancy,or the fact that she’s blogging about her symptoms, etc, but rather about the idea of a stupid fertile meme being co-opted by women who are usually far more thoughtful and eloquent. I hate memes in general, and this one just feels like a slap in the face. I am always genuinely happy for IFers who manage to get knocked up, my post has nothing to do with my happiness for them, and everything to do with hating that freaking meme.

8. Betsy May 15, 2011 at 01:05 #

Ugh, this one is everywhere. Do peoples’ thoughts on gender really go back and forth week to week? I wouldn’t know.

9. Marie May 15, 2011 at 02:16 #

I fucking love you.

People fill out memes because it’s fun to fill out memes. That doesn’t mean anyone else wants to READ the memes. So fill them out and then delete them. Don’t post them. No one cares.

xoxoxoxoxox

10. jjiraffe May 15, 2011 at 07:57 #

The meme within a meme graphic and Leo’s expression is totally hilarious. I just startled Darcy by snorting like a pig.

I kinda enjoy Memes: my rule is, if it’s smug, I’m done. Honest and revealing, OK.

11. Kristin May 15, 2011 at 08:05 #

Brava! I have a few dear IF friends who posted this meme in addition to their regular blogging and I have to confess that I NEVER once actually read it. It annoys me intensely

12. marriage20 May 15, 2011 at 13:13 #

Mo, you crack me up!!!

13. Sarah May 15, 2011 at 19:07 #

This chain meme bothers me, but not as much as tickers that go up around 5w2d on IF blogs. I’ve stopped reading a few ladies recently because of those things, and especially what you touched on early about nothing else to say. Being pregnant after IF is an emotional no-man’s land on both sides of the fence and I could use some thoughts on that, not your chain letter.

14. A. May 15, 2011 at 20:45 #

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog. I am also in Israel and I always get excited to find other IF bloggers from Israel:) Where in Israel are you? I live in Jerusalem. Best of luck with your upcoming testing. Let me know if I can help in any way or if you have questions about different hospitals, clinics, procedures, doctors, etc – I am very happy to share my experiences and impressions thus far on this sucktacular journey (though most of my info is Jerusalem-centric…not sure if that is helpful or not). I hope there is a happy ending in sight for both of us soon!

15. missohkay May 15, 2011 at 23:46 #

A garbage can full of sanitary pads? Bwahahaha this is why I love your blog. I wholeheartedly agree with this post. (Even though once or twice I participated in less offensive un-smug non-pregnancy memes but tried to make my answers wacky-but-true enough that people would actually want to read them.)

• Stinky Weaselteats July 23, 2012 at 23:07 #

this made me crack out too. Hadn’t read this post before, so glad you linked to it! First LOL of the day – yay

16. Libby May 16, 2011 at 04:34 #

I hate the meme. But I hate all memes.

Keep your head up. You’re baby is coming, and then you can smother it with love and smugness.

17. Cattiz J May 16, 2011 at 17:49 #

I’m not a fan of these memes either. They are cute and all but not my cup of tea.

18. eighteenyears May 17, 2011 at 22:27 #

Too funny, Mo. You knocked the smug off their blog mug. I hate those questionnaire things too.

19. AK May 18, 2011 at 03:11 #

I can’t help it. Every time you pit “Fertiles” versus “Infertiles” my mind automatically jumps to “Wizards,” “Muggles,” and “Squibs.” It just does.

20. BleedingTulip May 18, 2011 at 07:09 #

I have yet to come across this smug bastard of a meme, but it may be because I’ve been to busy to keep up on all my blogs.
    *hold up right hand*
    I promise to be a good girlscout and never ever ever use such a stupid excuse for a blog post. Or you may smack me upside the head very hard. With a big hardcover book. A lot.

21. Keiko June 13, 2011 at 21:27 #

Genius. These particular memes remind me of the whole “Quiz Result” phenomena of the early 2000’s, where there were whole LIVEJOURNAL COMMUNITIES dedicated to posting useless, worthless quiz results. No one gives a flying f*ck if my Aura Color is blue or that the HP character I’m most likely to marry is Hagrid.

Just like I really don’t care if your child is the size of a kumquat or all you crave right now is ham sandwiches and chalk. Gah!

Thanks for this post. Much needed.

22. Theresa July 24, 2012 at 01:00 #

OMG. This is hysterical. (and I totally relate)

23. Lilly October 18, 2012 at 01:23 #

hahaha this is awesome. Reminds me, also, of the fact that a friend of mine at work (who, btw I love her and the baby, but she is non-infertile) – who just had her baby…her FIRST baby – literally a month ago, posted something on FB along the lines of “that’s what happens when you’re a parent” and yes. she is. I get that she didn’t have problems getting pregnant – but for some reason, the fact that she said that just really irritated the hell out of me. Yes. I know she IS a parent but just so non-chalont like she’s been one for years.

24. Mary calven September 26, 2016 at 06:16 #

Thank you so oooooooooooh much for your humorous take on infertility. As a single, college student living with her parents while she gets her BSN ( Not to mention I have PCOS and have “demonstrated” infertility for over 6 years), your comedic humor is very much appreciated. I especially appreciate that you don’t include your significant other in the humor like 90% of infertility blogs do. I only bring this up because there is very little little LITTLE support for woman experiencing infertility alone, such as those who were abused as children or other circumstances! Thank you sooooo much for continuing to be a voice for infertile woman even after having children! !

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Musings on a Grey Day « pursuingparenthood - May 19, 2011

[…] random thought… Mommy Odyssey touched on this a little, and it got me thinking.  When an infertile finally get’s pregnant, […]

2. A still-bitter-infertile’s pregnancy meme « Yolk: A blog about eggs and sperm - June 20, 2011

[…] few weeks ago, Mo did her little rant about how much she hates pregnancy memes–and it seemed plenty of people agreed with […]

3. My Reader Runneth Over « Mommy Odyssey - July 23, 2012

[…] ranted before against preggo bloggers, but that was during a very bitter phase. I’m not even mad, because unlike before, I know all […]

4. Episode 8! « Bitter Infertiles - October 17, 2012

[…] https://mommyodyssey.com/2011/05/14/revenge-of-the-preggo-blogging-meme/ […]

5. I Know! Let’s Color Code It! « Like So - February 6, 2013

[…] fucking hate pregnancy memes. I’ve written about that a couple of times on my old blog. I don’t dislike or even judge the people who write them. I just think the memes are annoying […]