Me in a Nutshell

21 Feb

Hi there ICLWers!

If this is your first time here, I thought you may want a rundown of what my deal is. So here’s a blow-by-blow from heavy to light:

1) I’ve had two miscarriages in the last year. Still haven’t found a reason why. The second one brought on an existential crisis and a serious case of ptsd, so I am now taking happy pills and working on figuring out what I want to be when I grow up (apart from a mother, of course). It’s been a long hard road these last few months, but things are slowly getting better. We’re not back on the TTC train yet, but we’re hoping on getting there soon.

2) Though my writing style, my endless pop culture references, and my overuse of the words “like” and “dude” as in “it was like – so awesome dude” would make you think I am most likely American, I am not. I am Israeli. I spent a large chunk of my life in the US though, including all of elementary school, and undergrad and graduate school, so my accent and my writing are pretty much as American as you can get. And yes, I think in English, therefore I blog in English. Therefore I am in English. Or something.

3) I work from home, mostly on the family business but I also do a bunch of internet content editing stuff. I also have recently started teaching film to high school kids, which is challenging and fun. I’m also a filmmaker, as in, writer/director (which is what I have my lovely yet often useless MFA in), but a serious lack of confidence is holding me back from letting my film flag fly. I am working on it though, I swear.

4) If you’re clever enough you can find my name around here (only in embedded things so I can fool the google machine), but I blog anonymously, not because I’m ashamed of what’s going on with me, but because I don’t want current/future employers to google me and decide that I’m crazy. The evidence around here to support that fact is overwhelming. But in my opinion, in a good way.

5) My philosophy in life is that chocolate fixes everything (except the few extra pounds I carry around with me most of the time). If you believe that too click on the heart-shaped button on the right! (sorry for the shameless plug).

6) In this whole self-discovery kick I’m on, I’ve begun to have conversations with myself. Click here if you want a peak inside my screwed up head.

7) I have a sometimes unhealthy obsession with the 90’s.

8 ) Shameless plug #2 – I will be fulfilling a fantasy of mine this year by live blogging the oscars right here! Would love it if you join me!

9) My husband (AKA Shmerson) and I speak in tongues.

10) I was sans-internet for about 4 days, so I apologize for the ranty internet withdrawal posts that you will see on this first page.

So read, comment away, and of course – have fun!

9 Responses to “Me in a Nutshell”

1. amy February 21, 2011 at 20:44 #

Good luck on your journey. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one struggling with PTSD post miscarriage and glad to hear there’s hope!

2. slcurwin February 21, 2011 at 22:48 #

You know I always wonder what language people think in (I think in jibberish and pictures mostly myself) and yet I forget to ask. Just a random interest that I have and I’m glad you wrote it down.

3. Elphaba February 21, 2011 at 23:06 #

Yah whatever. I already knew that.

🙂

4. Marie February 22, 2011 at 00:10 #

Aw jeez, this again? I just signed up at the very last possible minute, after both you & Arohanui gave welcoming ICLW posts and I realized I was about to feel left out.

I think in English. Lots and lots and lots of English, with the occasional French word thrown in. I am very jealous of SLC’s jibberish and pictures.

• mommyodyssey February 22, 2011 at 00:16 #

aww honey, you should never feel left out. For example, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I’m hella-jealous of the jibberish and the pictures as well! See! you are one of us (or one of me? wait – that makes no sense whatsoever)! ICLW or not. 🙂

• slcurwin February 22, 2011 at 23:48 #

You’d be less jealous but likely more amused if you realized how incoherent my thoughts are.

5. Vicky February 22, 2011 at 02:34 #

Happy ICLW week! Dude, I am like, so Israeli too. But I live in Canada, so I also think in English. I will be visiting your ‘hood in month. Looking forward to the warm mediterranean sun!

• mommyodyssey February 22, 2011 at 03:48 #

Omg! That is awesome! I had no idea! Where will you be staying? Would you be totally weirded out if I suggest we meet for coffee?