Yay! and huh?

20 Feb

So – I’m happy to report that we are FINALLY back online after almost a week of living in the stone age.

That’s the “Yay!” part.

The “huh?” part is actually a call to analyze my temps – so anyone who’s not in the midst of baby-craziness, my apologies. I’m planning an epic post later tonight along with an big announcement! (I know, you must be shaking with excitement already). So yes, all of you non-baby-crazies are welcome to check back later.

Now – my fellow charters: I’m not done charting my first month, but I’m already suspecting a luteal phase issue.

Here’s my chart for the month so far:

CD 17 and no rise in temps, no CM – nada.

And my cycles are usually between 28-30 days.

I know I’m jumping the gun a bit here – but the thing is, my last M/C I ovulated on day 20. So…

I have an appt. with my gyno in two days and I want to bring this to him and go “see? It’s my luteal phase! hit me with progesterone! (right? it’s progesterone that you need with a shortened luteal phase?)”

But I’m a bit nervous that he’ll look at me like I’m nuts and say that you can’t tell a thing after less than a month of charting.

So, my charting friends – thoughts? Opinions?

Or in short – huh?

8 Responses to “Yay! and huh?”

1. Elphaba February 20, 2011 at 20:12 #

Nuh uh, I don’t think that’s indicative of anything to do with your luteal phase yet–you’d have to ovulate first for you to see anything there.

You either haven’t ovulated yet (which is possible if you O as late as CD20) or you’re having an anovulatory cycle.

I wouldn’t panic just yet. People’s LPs don’t tend to change but their O date can. Wait until you get a clear shift or AF shows and then see.

2. Elphaba February 20, 2011 at 20:17 #

And I apologize for not knowing this, but how far along were on both pregnancies? Because unless it was really, really early, I believe it wouldn’t be caused by a LP defect.

3. mommyodyssey February 20, 2011 at 21:28 #

thanks for the voice of sanity. But if I ovulate late doesn’t it automatically mean that my luteal phase is shorter? Or is that just me not understanding the charting thing?
    And don’t apologize for asking:
    baby one was blighted ovum discovered at 8 weeks
    baby two was 6 weeks-ish

4. Elphaba February 21, 2011 at 00:21 #

It could mean that–but even if you ovulated on CD20 and your cycle was 30 days, that’s a 10 LP–I believe that’s long enough. Are you using OPKs?

And until you KNOW when you Od and you know the length of your cycle, don’t panic. You could be having a longer cycle. Who knows if you ovulated earlier on those shorter cycles you weren’t charting?

So in other words, yes, you can’t tell anything from one month of charting 😉

• mommyodyssey February 21, 2011 at 00:28 #

Thank you Dr. Elphie!

• Hemlock February 21, 2011 at 23:26 #

I 2nd Elphie! For me, I usually O around CD19 and I always have a 15 day luteal phase. It never changes. Even the medicated cycles we did I O’d on CD 13-14 and then AF appeared 15 days later. If you’ve been sick, or stressed… all of that can delay your O date.

5. slcurwin February 21, 2011 at 23:26 #

Definately can’t tell from just one month of charting, so keep it up for future reference. And dont panic yet. you’ll probably ovulate soon enough and then you’ll be able to track your LP better. you peeing on sticks yet?

6. mommyodyssey February 21, 2011 at 23:30 #

I finally got a temp spike today and OPK confirmed. So yeah. Freak out officially over. 🙂 Thanks ladies!