For My Shmerson

14 Feb

Dear Shmerson,

This will be the fourth Valentines Day that we have spent together, and our first as a married couple. Tonight, instead of going out to someplace fancy, you will be working and I will be at a yoga class, or sitting at home, watching something silly on TV.

Last year on this day we were eating dinner at a way-too-expensive restaurant, and deciding on a DJ for the big day.

Last year, on the outside we were perfect.

This year, on the outside, we are not.

I am so happy to say that. You know why?

We could afford the fancy restaurant, but I hated my job and spent most of my days depressed and anxious.

You were lost  – completely unsure of what you wanted (except of course, for marrying me).

This year you have to work so that we can make ends meet. But this is because you are more sure of your own future than you ever have been before, and I am slowly finding ways to make a living which I can truly enjoy.

This year, I will be sitting at home, or at a yoga class, more full and happy with myself than I have been in years.

So far, our marriage has been nothing like what I had expected it to be. In the year since that fancy restaurant, we had both the happiest day of both of our lives, and two of the saddest, when we lost our two babies.

And we came out of it. We are on the other side. Together. And today I can say that I love you more and more every day.

Every day that you’ve stepped up and taken care of me when I’ve felt broken.

Every day that you were broken yourself.

Every big decision we have had to make in the last year.

Every time we talked things through, figured things out, and worked on our relationship.

Every hurdle we took on together. Every challenge that we had to face.

We got it done. We did it together.

Tonight, on the outside, we will not look like a perfect couple – the wife at a yoga class and the husband working late.

But when you come home from your shift, sweaty, exhausted, and most likely carrying a couple of sandwiches for us to share while watching something silly on TV, I will hug you, kiss you, snuggle up on the the couch, and know that it doesn’t matter what it looks like from the outside.

We are stronger than ever.

Happy Valentine’s Day, my wonderful husband. I hope that we continue to grow together for decades to come.

Love,

Your Shmerson

**Ps: Marie and Elphie gave everyone the idea of posting wedding/couple pics today. If you want to see a full list click on over to Elphie’s post here.

12 Responses to “For My Shmerson”

1. missohkay February 14, 2011 at 02:05 #

So sweet! I wrote a post for my husband that I’ll post tomorrow – I swear I didn’t copy the idea off of you 🙂

• mommyodyssey February 14, 2011 at 02:44 #

thanks 🙂 And duh- of course you’re not copying. I just have the luxury of being first because of the earlier time zone 🙂 post a pic too!!!

2. Marie February 14, 2011 at 04:19 #

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay picture!

You are beautiful, and Shmerson is quite the little hottie. I love the look on your face, that smirk saying, “He’s all mine!”

This was a big fancy Israeli wedding where everyone storms the chuppah (sp?) and starts dancing?

3. Elphaba February 14, 2011 at 05:31 #

I second Marie! Yay to the photo and you both are so cute!

You are so right about what things look like on the outside–no one has any idea what the inside might be like. I like your insides 😉

4. Cattiz J February 14, 2011 at 15:08 #

Cute picture, you look so happy! It’s so true you can grow stronger in the relationship, I’m glad that’s the case for you.

Also, thanks for hooking me up to my Choco Buddy, will be interesting to see how it works out. Great project =)

5. Heather February 14, 2011 at 20:23 #

Beautiful! and some lovely words too…

6. missohkay February 14, 2011 at 20:37 #

Sorry, no pics for now! Must remain as anonymous as possible. Adoption agency has a no-adoption-blogging policy which I make every attempt to abide by, but I don’t want to tempt fate by giving them concrete evidence of who I am – mrohkay is paranoid that they’ll randomly stumble across something they don’t approve of and yank our contract 🙂

• mommyodyssey February 14, 2011 at 20:40 #

well that makes sense. I will imagine you with green horns and purple polka-dotted skin for now. K? 🙂

• mommyodyssey February 14, 2011 at 20:42 #

shall I leave a self-depricating comment on your post denouncing my previous demand?

7. Aramelle February 14, 2011 at 21:43 #

What a sweet picture. You both look so, so happy. Just the way it should be! 😀