I’m a pee-stick-a-holic

18 Jan

Ok I’ll start with a confession. Last week, during a visit to a pharmacy, I picked up a package of OPK’s.

I know, I know – Bad Me! For shame!

(but in my defense they were on sale)

I told Shmerson about buying them, but I swore to him that they would not be used until we officially go back to TTC.

Shmerson, I know you’re reading this – you have married a weak willed pee-stick-a-holic. I’m sorry and I love you.

I justified it to myself thusly:

Me: Well, if you’re going to start TTC again in a month or two then it’s probably a good idea to re-acquaint yourself with your cycles.

Me: Oh! Yay! We finally agree on something! This is a good idea!

Me: Why thank you. We’re not being unhealthy at all.

Me: Nope. Not at all.

So off I went to POAS. I admit, I kind of missed it. It really does give one a sense of control.

(OPK negative BTW – but there is a faint line so I’m assuming the surge should come in a few days).

But I’m not sure if this is such a good idea. These darn pee-sticks are part of what started the trouble in the first place.

What do you guys think? Should I POAS to get to know my cycle again, or am I just trying to control everything too much again and I’m on a slippery slope?

15 Responses to “I’m a pee-stick-a-holic”

1. runnyyolk January 18, 2011 at 01:07 #

Maybe you shouldn’t ask me, because I totally would. I’d want to know what my cycle was doing… things changed after I had my miscarriage.

2. Marie January 18, 2011 at 03:10 #

I’ve never used an OPK, and hope I never have to. I just want to get pregnant through dumb luck and a lot of sex like I did last time.

That being said, I have a tendency to pee on unnecessary HPT sticks, so maybe you shouldn’t ask me either.

3. Hemlock January 18, 2011 at 06:29 #

I’m the wrong one to ask too! Personally, I’d say go for it… as long as they work for you. Me? I had no luck with them this month. That aside, it really does give you a sense of control over your situation. So my vote… use ’em.

4. starfishkittydreams January 18, 2011 at 06:59 #

Welcome to the blogosphere! I found your blog on the Stirrup Queens Lost and Found list. I am so sorry for both of your losses.

Here is my two sense. I am fan of OPK’s or fertility monitors for getting pregnant. They are pretty darn accurate and they’ve helped me time the baby dance successfully in my TTC after loss efforts.

• mommyodyssey January 18, 2011 at 12:27 #

thanks for visiting! the problem is we’ve decided to take a couple of months off of TTC – hence the dilemma. They have been incredibly helpful for me as well. That’s why it’s so darn tempting…

5. deepdreamer January 18, 2011 at 07:44 #

As long as you’re not needing to sell a kydney to pay for the pee-sticks, I say it’s ok. Then again, I am also the wrong person to ask! The second my period is late, I manage to convice myself I’m up the duff.

6. slcurwin January 18, 2011 at 08:17 #

HECK! you can’t ask us! we’re all POASaholics, lol. Coming from a monitary standpoint though, I’d say if you are planning on giving in to those tendancies, order them bulk online.

I don’t know what shipping to you would be, but it’s got to be way cheaper. It only cost me $6 per set so I got two (including shipping) and I’m still on my first package.

• mommyodyssey January 18, 2011 at 12:29 #

Hmm…. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

• mommyodyssey January 18, 2011 at 12:35 #

Oy – they don’t ship to Israel. Ahh well. I’ll definitely need to find a cheaper option though. OPK’s here cost around 20 bucks…

7. mommyodyssey January 18, 2011 at 12:36 #

Ok – by an overwhelming majority – POAS it is! Woohoo! Let the control-freakery abound!
    thanks ladies 🙂

• Marie January 18, 2011 at 14:34 #

I’m pretty sure your husband hates all of us right now…

• slcurwin January 19, 2011 at 00:40 #

lol, I’m sure you’re right

8. me0me January 18, 2011 at 21:48 #

Wow. If I was Schmerson, I would actually be annoyed at your online community right now.
    Be that as it may-
    if you have, indeed, decided to POAS as a use of gaining a sense of control, and seeing as you said you’re about to quit smoking- how about holding off on the former until you start the latter? They do fill some similar roles methinks.