The Not-A-Bucket List

1 May

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about broader life goals and dreams. This is kind of a huge step, considering the only goal I’ve been focused on over the last two years has been “have a baby”.

But there are things I’ve always dreamed of doing. Some are more realistic than others. But I felt it was time I made a list.

I mean, you all know how much I love lists.

So here, for posterity, is a list of  of my hopes, dreams, and goals. This isn’t a self improvement list. This isn’t a bucket list. This is just the stuff I fanasize about when I want to go to a happy place. In no particular order:

1. Have at least 3 children. Whether I myself have them all, or some  (or all) come to us through adoption or surrogacy, I want to be surrounded by children (well, you can’t really be “surrounded” with three, but you get my drift). Note to self: You said this list was not about babies! You lie!

2. Write a book. This is a relatively new goal. I don’t know what the book would be about, but the last two years have proven to me how much I love to write. I’m sure that one day I’ll come to a place where I know what book I want to write, and I’ll just sit down and do it. Note to self: it’s not really as easy as you make it out to be. You should probably prepare yourself for it to be kinda hard.

3. Make a feature-length film. This is something that has been put aside for now, even though it used to be at the top of my list. Priorities change. But I still, one day, would like to make one. Note to self: No, you do not have to win an Oscar for said film. Seriously! Be reasonable! I mean, what would you even wear?

4. Help people for a living. That’s where my idea to get a degree in art therapy came from. I think there is nothing better than reaching out to people and feeling like you can make a difference in their lives.

5. Visit Japan. The country has always fascinated me. I can’t wait for the day that Shmerson and I can afford a trip there. Note to self: find an underwear vending machine and take a picture. Oh – and get one of those fish pedicures.

6. Visit Hawaii. Another place that just seems amazingly beautiful to me, I can’t wait to see it one day. Note to self: Make body bathing-suit worthy before the trip. Oh- and stay away from the Spam. They apparently love that stuff there.

7. Eat at a Michelin Star restaurant in France. Don’t care which. It just seems like it would be fun. On our honeymoon, Shmerson and I ate at one in Barcelona. It was heaven. Now- France!

8. Meet Mike Patton. I’ve met movie stars before. I’ve even worked with some. But for some reason, that doesn’t phase me in the slightest. On the other hand, Faith No More has been a band that I’ve loved since the age of 15, and still love to this day. I believe that if I ever do get to meet him, I will faint on the spot. Note to self: bring  smelling salts or something.

9. Sell a painting. I don’t paint enough, but I’m very proud of the paintings I finish. I’ll probably post about that someday soon. I’ve always thought it would be cool to have someone actually offer me money for my paintings. I would love that.

10. See a live taping of The Daily Show or SNL Do you guys realize how impossible it is to get tickets to those things? But seriously, once again, fainting would most likely ensue. Note to self: Smelling salts. Don’t forget.

11. Have my own podcast. Something else that I’ve been mulling over for the last year or so. I did a little radio when I was younger and I loved it. I kind of want my own podcast, because I think it would be cool. I may just do it some day. I can see it now: “Mo’s Bunnycast”. Note to self: Don’t name anything “Bunnycast” that’s creepy.

12. Own a Mini Cooper. Do I really need to explain why? Note to self: Make it purple.

13. Marry Shmerson Again. Our wedding was the happiest day of my life. Plus, it was the best. Wedding. Ever! The next day we already agreed that we would do it again on our 25th anniversary. It will rock just as hard. Note to self: Remind Shmerson to get a little less drunk next time around.

14. Meet J.K. Rowling and Thank Her. I know, hardcore geekery in play here. But seriously, there have been moments in my life where the only thing that gave me a bit of an escape from the ick was a long bubble bath with a Harry Potter book. Note to self: See numbers 8 and 10 above. Salts. Or some other fainting remedy. Look into that.

So what about you guys? What do you fantasize about when you go to your happy places?

About these ads

30 Responses to “The Not-A-Bucket List”

1. kat May 1, 2012 at 23:05 #

Now that is a list :) I hope you get to do everything on it, I’m rooting for you.

2. kat May 1, 2012 at 23:12 #

Sorry forgot to put my fantasy down. Well I see myself in a loving marriage with one precious healthy child.That is my biggest dream and goal in life and it has been the hardest for me to achieve.I know I lack ambition and seeing as I can’t conceive I may be setting myself up for failure but that’s my happy place.

3. missohkay May 1, 2012 at 23:21 #

This is an awesome post and I want to copy your idea and make my own list! Don’t make me do it in the comments :)

• Mo May 2, 2012 at 00:58 #

I will not force you to do anything, promise! :-) I’d love to see a post from you on this.

4. AK May 2, 2012 at 00:36 #

Ooooh. My turn! First of all, love you, as per usual. Second –
    1. Live in New York City for at least a year (no, that couple of months right after college does not count).
    2. Surf, yoga, Costa Rica – aka – THIS: http://www.delmarsurfcamp.com/
    3. Meet Dave Grohl and Matt Bomer. Try not to pass out both times.
    4. Complete at least one US Adventure Racing Association 24 hour course (Tom and I are doing a 3-hour sprint this fall!)
    5. Climb the dome at Yellowstone.
    6. Maybesortasomedaygetmarriedtotheboyfrienddonttellhim.

• Mo May 2, 2012 at 00:58 #

I love you.

5. SRB May 2, 2012 at 00:42 #

#14. YES. THIS. I thought about what I would write in my comment all the way home, then realized I was basically writing a similar post in my head. I smell a MO MEME! Can we make this a thing? Can we all do this? SAY YES!

I am very glad to see this list…to see more of you. I missed these parts – good to see you babe. :)

• Mo May 2, 2012 at 00:59 #

MO MEME!
      You rock, just so you know.
      Yes! make it a thing!
      *blush*

• SRB May 2, 2012 at 01:38 #

You heard the woman… MO MEME the crap out of this y’all!

6. Her Royal Fabulousness May 2, 2012 at 01:02 #

Oooh I might steal this for a post as well. I must say, the Mike Patton one is my fav. :)

7. Jay May 2, 2012 at 01:44 #

I live in NYC, I LOVE the Daily Show and I can’t ever make it there because they only shoot on weekdays and I’m too overworked to ever consider taking a day off, unless its for a precious vacation. Grr @ me.
    I also missed out on the opportunity to go watch Hugh Jackman on Broadway, so I truly suck!

Thats a *very* good list. And you ARE going to make it with the 3 kids. Despite the shit parade we have to deal with, I can’t help but appreciate the world we live in, with all the options available, just as long as we can cough up the dough!

8. Cristy May 2, 2012 at 02:09 #

First off: Can I be invited to your wedding? Because, based on the photos, it’s going to be “Awesome Wedding part 2.” For everything else on the list: some how, some way, it’s going to happen. I know it.

Okay, my list of things.
    1) Have 4 kids. (We’re definitely adopting, even if this whole pregnancy thing works out, so anyone who preaches to me about overpopulation can suck it.)
    2) Live somewhere other than the US. Today Thailand seems like a wonderful place.
    3) Go to Burning Man.
    4) Hike to the Enchantments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enchantments

Thanks for letting me dream too!

9. Daryl May 2, 2012 at 03:50 #

Love this list. I may have to Mo meme it after I catch my breath, later in the week. Can’t wait for the posts when you start crossing things off!

10. Kristin May 2, 2012 at 05:22 #

Ooooh, I love your list. I think I’ll do my own later this week. I’d answer now but I’m braindead. I was on a field trip with kindergarten kids all day.

11. Coco May 2, 2012 at 16:21 #

I think you should sell your paintings on line! For real. I have friends who sell things on etsy, and they do really well. Tell us if you decide to do it!!! :) I want to visit Ireland and Italy. I really wanted to hear Pavarotti sing live, but alas that possibility is past. :( I LOVE Faith No More, but I’m from the same state as them, so I think it’s a law that I have to love them. :) I want to own an UPDATED/renovated old Victorian house with a wrap around porch and lots of molding. *swoon* And I want my backyard to be big, private, and full of fruit trees, berry bushes, and a huge garden…. and 3 English Mastiffs… maybe some chickens? Oh and did I mention that I want to lose a billion pounds and be all skinny and super sexy and rich? Yeah, that too. :)

12. nonsequiturchica May 2, 2012 at 16:39 #

What a great list! Getting to see SNL would be hard though- but the Daily Show is doable. You can sign up on the website to get notified when tickets become available. I live in CT and haven’t been down there yet but I really want to go too!

13. Rebecca Pallack (@RPallack) May 2, 2012 at 18:50 #

I Love Harry Potter books. I’ve actually never made a list. Maybe some day I will.

14. jak May 2, 2012 at 22:14 #

siiiiiiriously – i’d love to buy a painting from a fellow IF-er. really. and dh and i do buy art whenever we see something that is special to us. sooooo, if you have something to sell or several things and have or feel like taking photos of them and sending them to my email, i might be able to help you cross this off your list:)

15. Kristen G. May 3, 2012 at 02:00 #

Love your list!!! I want to make my own list, too!
    BTW, there is spam-as-sushi in Hawaii…weird, but I tried it (was there with a local and trying to fit in)…from 7-11 for breakfast…not as bad as you would think…

16. infertilityawakening May 3, 2012 at 21:26 #

What a wonderful post, and fantastic list! May all of them come true!!

17. Kristin May 4, 2012 at 08:11 #

I got my Not-A-Bucket list posted http://thefertileinfertile.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-not-bucket-list.html

18. Cw May 5, 2012 at 03:35 #

Not a bucket list done. Personally a fan of a mo meme because we know you live a good meme. Next, the mo movement. Get on that concept ;)

19. Emily @ablanket2keep May 6, 2012 at 22:31 #

I really can’t wait to read your book, see your film and listen to your podcast!
    Harry Potter books are an awesome getaway.

20. boomboxprincess May 11, 2012 at 00:06 #

Hello =), I really loved your post! It was very inspirational I’m only 18 but I have something similar on my blog, it’s pretty much a “Not A Bucket” List however I like to call it my aspirations inventory. I want to show people that no matter how wild the dream, it can come true. I would be honored if you could check it out and tell me what you think. Thank you for the opportunity to read such a lovely blog.

21. Fiona aka DRMama May 19, 2012 at 22:34 #

Found your blog through ‘little chicken nugget”s blog post / not a bucket list who I found through ‘My Cheap Version of Therapy’. Love this idea and will definitely be thinking up my own list and post it on my blog soon!! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. the not-a-bucket list « little chicken nugget - May 3, 2012

[...] other day, my dear friend Mo posted a “Not-A-Bucket” List – a wish list of things she wants to do with her time and [...]

2. My not-a-bucket list « Something Out of Nothing - May 10, 2012

[...] made a not-a-bucket list, which was fabulous, and then SRB at little chicken nugget decided we should all meme the crap [...]

3. Strands « Mommy Odyssey - June 26, 2012

[...] don’t know. Make a lot of money so we could take that trip to Japan, or maybe make a movie.  Take better care of my body, I think. Make sure to go to a lot more rock [...]

4. Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is. Or Something. « Mommy Odyssey - August 6, 2012

[...] I’m a podcast junkie. I love them. I listen to them all the time. I’ve even written here before that I wanted to create my own podcast. [...]

5. And Then I Had a Talk With Silent Bob « Mommy Odyssey - September 19, 2012

[...] I love Kevin Smith. I have for years and years. I just never imagined that he – of all people – would be the one to help me get through Nadav’s due date, and inspire me to get off my ass and take my not-a-bucket list seriously. [...]

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 616 other followers