14 Weeks: The Good, The Bad, and The Stretch Marks

24 Dec

So bad me! I missed out on last week! Ahh well.

I can’t believe I made it to 14 weeks. By all accounts, we’re officially in the second trimester, which is amazing.

I haven’t much talked about symptoms here, but I figured it was time to run down the crazy that has become my body. Mostly because my reactions are pretty surprising.

*warning: Yes, I am complaining about some symptoms here. Please feel free to skip if you can’t handle it right now.*

The Bad:

• Oh the heartburn! Though it’s down from being constant to only showing up about once a day, that’s been the biggest nightmare. I want to say I’ve been popping tums like candy, but I’ve been good in trying to keep the amount I take to a minimum. So mostly I’ve just been feeling icky.
  • The preggo brain! I have such a hard time concentrating! Notice how I still suck at leaving comments? Yeah – it’s because I’m rarely coherent these days.
  • The sleep weirdness! So last week I officially transitioned from sleeping too much to not sleeping enough. Mostly due to excessive peeing. Not helping with the concentration issues.
  • Generally Ill (and not in the cool Beastie Boys way): I think this is the most frustrating. I just feel icky most days. Achy. Weak, headaches and such. Poor Shmerson has had to take over most household duties because I’m barely functioning. Which makes me feel endlessly guilty. I hope that second trimester high kicks in soon.

The Good:

• The puke! Yep. I’ve puked three times so far during this pregnancy. I’m not saying it’s pleasant, but each time I do it calls for a little happy dance. It makes me feel like I’m part of the club or something.
  • The doppler! Best. Purchase. Ever. I seriously don’t know where my sanity would be without it.
  • The round ligament pain! I know – this is another common complaint, but I love it. As soon as I started recognizing it for what it is, each little twinge is a reminder that the shmaby is growing.
  • Stretch marks! I know – another one that most women complain about. But they started showing up a couple of weeks ago and I can’t help but smile each time I look at them. Another reminder that my belly will pop out soon and this may actually start to feel real. Which is awesome.

I think we’re still on the 80 – 20 scale when it comes to the pizza to shmaby ratio. Ahh well.

Merry Christmas to all my Goyim peeps! And happy Hannukah to the Jews! And happy vacation to the non-denominational and atheists out there! Hope your holidays are peaceful and happy.

About these ads

12 Responses to “14 Weeks: The Good, The Bad, and The Stretch Marks”

1. mrs. brightside December 24, 2011 at 17:12 #

So glad to see you chugging (and puking) along! Happy Hannukah to you!

2. Port of Indecision December 24, 2011 at 21:31 #

So happy to hear you’re officially 2nd tri!

I had massive RLP too, but I secretly loved it, because I took it as a sign the baby was growing. It was kind of embarrassing sometimes though, when I’d stand up from a chair and go, “AH! OW!” And mine started around 8 frickin weeks, so that was a lot of weeks of sometimes sounding/looking crazy before people knew I was pg.

3. alexmmr December 24, 2011 at 23:49 #

I love RLP. That means things are growing and they wouldn’t be growing if they weren’t healthy so bring it on!

But here’s the think with my stretch marks – I have some pretty severe ones on my stomach because I’m such a fatty that they’ve just appeared over the years. But when I’m pregnant, they fade to almost nothing! Right now, you can hardly see them but when I’m not pregnant, they’re bright red. Still trying to figure that one out.

4. Rachel December 25, 2011 at 01:12 #

Lookin’ beautiful! :) Happy Hanukkah!

5. bloggingreluctantly December 25, 2011 at 05:21 #

I take Zantac for heartburn twice a day, it’s working..if I miss a dose I am miserable….and the stretch marks. Battle scars is what I think when I see them. AND I have a lot :)

6. Artistmouse December 25, 2011 at 14:54 #

I suffered with heartburn before I was pregnant and it only got worse during. I found that the Tums made it worse sometimes. Try chewing on some almonds or chewing gum.
    And thanks for the Christmas greetings. I’m off to prepare for the festivis of carbs. :D

7. St. Elsewhere December 25, 2011 at 17:12 #

Happy Hannukah, Mo!

And I agree with you….all those symptoms…all so good!

8. Heather December 25, 2011 at 20:42 #

Hey Mo – happy Hanukkah to you! Love the song!
    I have also been feeling very weak.And insomnia. (It’s more because I wake up in the middle of the night and need to pee and then can’t get back to sleep) Although the last two nights have been better. No puking or stretch marks.
    I also have a belly that is more full of food than baby. But I don’t care. People used to ask me if I was pregnant when I just had a fat tummy. Now I can actually say I’m pregnant.

9. Emily @ablanket2keep December 26, 2011 at 18:11 #

Happy Hanukkah to you. 14 weeks!! So exciting!!! I would probably be all excited about symptoms too. They make it real when you don’t have a belly yet or can’t feel them moving yet.

10. embracingtherain December 27, 2011 at 19:18 #

Happy Hanukkah! So glad things are going well and you have made it to 14 weeks.

11. Rachel @ Eggs In A Row December 27, 2011 at 20:47 #

Yay stretch marks! :)

12. slcurwin December 28, 2011 at 04:40 #

Drinking crap tons of water is the best thing you can do for stretch marks (and yet often gets missed out in the “what to do” list. And vitamin e (topical NOT orally. you can have too much Vit E orally). And I lived on gavascon before the pharmacist informed me that I could take Zantac (ranitadine) safely during pregnancy. I’ve got bad acid reflux to start with so I felt like my esophogus was going to be eaten right through when I was pregnant with Monster. I HIGHLY recommend it. Makes the world a better place.

and… YAY!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 606 other followers