Weekly Obsession 3: Friends!

20 Jan

I think everyone has their seminal show. The one they grew up on, than they quote incessantly – that they can watch over and over without ever getting sick of it.

For me, that show is Friends.

There are episodes that I can watch over and over and over and never ever get sick of them. There are things on the show I can get passionate and ranty about.

It is, for me, the ice cream sundae of television. Simple, yummy, and everyone loves a sundae!

Obsession by the numbers:

I have watched the entire series, beginning to end 5 times.

this does not count random episodes when I feel like it. This count includes the first time I watched through the series, and the four other times I made a conscious decision to watch it beginning to end.

Quotables:

The one I use the most is actually a gesture, not a quote:

You and I have always been….

Brilliant! I actually say it on the phone to squish and she knows exactly what I mean, of course.

Another gesture that is used often whenever I find myself saying the word “seven” in, well, basically any context.

Then of course there’s the often used:

And I’m leaving out finger dancing, and of course, the gesture Ross makes whenever he plays the keyboards:

When Shmerson and I talk nonsense, we often use – “That’s not even a word!!!”

And when we have friends over for pizza, we order the Joey Special (for those who don’t know, that would be two pizzas).

When I have reasons for something, they are usually “threefold”.

The list goes on and on and on – but I guess those are the most used.

I truly and honestly feel like season 4 was one of the best seasons of any television show ever, and most of my quotes and my favorite episodes are from that season.

Now the Ranty Part:

I almost kind of wish they’d ended with chandler and monicas wedding at the end of season 7. Though the rest of the seasons had a few good episodes, they weren’t nearly close to the level of funny as the earlier stuff.

and… JOEY AND RACHEL LOVE STORY? HELL TO THE NO!

But I forgive them, because the last few seasons brought us the character Mike, AKA my secret crush (sorry shmerson!) Paul Rudd:

Obsession Breakdown:

My favorite episode is “The one with the embryos” – season 4, of course!

Though I have to give a shout out to my second favorite – “the one with chandler in a box”.

Brilliant!

Favorite recurring character (mike not included):  It’s a tough one, but I have to say gunther.

Favorite one-off (actually two-off) character: Jon Lovitz (who I usually hate) as the stoned loser guy. Just for this scene (sorry for the crappy quality):

Favorite character: Chandler. I admit there was a point in time when I would describe my perfect man as “Chandler, only with a bit more rock & roll” (I actually ended up marrying exactly that – shmerson is my insecure, slightly geeky guy with long hair and I love him for it!)

Actually there is a slight confession to be made here: Shmerson and I always joke that he’s a perfect combination of chandler and mike and I’m a perfect combo of monica and phoebe.

And it would be a shame to leave you without at least one song by phoebe – this one’s my favorite:

About these ads

11 Responses to “Weekly Obsession 3: Friends!”

1. runnyyolk January 20, 2011 at 01:10 #

Hmm, I was never that into Friends… Seinfeld and the Simpsons on the other hand…

• mommyodyssey January 20, 2011 at 01:16 #

Well, I agree with you on both those counts, of course (the latter as I believe my blog design will attest to :-) )
      I totally understand how someone wouldn’t be into it. I on the other hand (you may have noticed) have a tendency to go into everything full-throttle. :-)

2. slcurwin January 20, 2011 at 01:31 #

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock and Crap Bag are oficially my new favorite couple. I guess I’d never seen that episode before.

• mommyodyssey January 20, 2011 at 01:39 #

I know, right? One of the few high-larious episodes in the later seasons. You should watch it!
      Join us! Join us! (imagine those last two lines in a zombie voice, of course)

• slcurwin January 20, 2011 at 04:33 #

It is very polite of the zombies to request. Cyborgs never extend that courtesy.

• mommyodyssey January 20, 2011 at 04:35 #

Well, Cyborgs may be less polite but zombies eat your brains, so you know, I’d say it’s a draw.

3. Marie January 20, 2011 at 07:47 #

My frickin’ ex-husband has ALL TEN SETS of my Friends DVDs. Ergo, I am pissed.

…I SAID ERGO!

(I also love Saved by the Bell.)

• mommyodyssey January 20, 2011 at 11:19 #

Well that’s just not right! I would suggest suing the pants off of him, but I doubt we want to open that can of worms.
      PS – I loved saved by the bell too. Until they went to college. Then I got mad. :-)

4. myskytimes January 20, 2011 at 17:59 #

Thanks for this post… made me laugh so hard (which is exactly what I needed today). I love Friends but hardly watch it anymore, cause the dubbed version just annoys the heck out of me. Now I found a place online where I can watch it in the original version (and – yay – no subtitles) so I can’t wait to start from the very beginning.

• mommyodyssey January 20, 2011 at 18:27 #

Hey there – I’m glad I could make you laugh. :-)
      You’re in germany, right (I think I remember reading it on your blog)? I have a bunch of friends who live there and get rather annoyed at the endless dubbing.
      I’m in Israel and get annoyed by subtitles myself – so I’ve recently fallen in love with tv.blinkx.com – way awesome site – and they have EVERYTHING (it’s how I did a “Big Bang Theory” marathon last month).
      Anyway – nice to see you here!

5. me0me January 25, 2011 at 23:48 #

Can I just say I love Matthew Perry?
    I love Matthew Perry.
    There I’ve said it.
    And if I’ll just procrastinate a little more
    I’ll reach line
    number
    SEVEN

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 607 other followers